This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Lean-NOx Catalyst Containing Metal-Ligand Complex Impregnated Molecular Sieves
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development and evaluation of an operative catalyst for the reduction of NOx in lean exhaust. A catalyst that incorporates iron (II)-complex impregnated modified mesoporous molecular sieves (MCM-41) has been synthesized and further treated with [pd(NH3)4]Cl2 . Experimental results suggest a hydrocarbon-independent reduction of NOx takes place on the iron center, and oxidation of CO is assisted by the palladium ion. The catalytic activity toward HC CO, and NOx removal was studied with simulated and real engine exhaust in the laboratory and on an engine, respectively. Engine test results demonstrate a reduction of NOx of up to 10 percent at catalyst inlet temperatures in the range of 260°C to 280°C. In this paper, possible NOx reduction pathways are also discussed.
CitationPaul, P., Heimrich, M., Miller, M., and Schwab, S., "Development of a Lean-NOx Catalyst Containing Metal-Ligand Complex Impregnated Molecular Sieves," SAE Technical Paper 962050, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962050.
- National Air Quality and Emission Trends Report 1992 U.S. EPA, Research Triangle Park NC October 1993
- Berks B.C. Fergusan S.J. Moir J.W.B. Richardson D.J. Biochim. et Biophys. Acta 1995 1232 97 173
- a) Hochstein L.I. Tomlinson G.A. Ann. Rev. Microbiol. 1988 42 231 261 b) Knowles R. Microbiol. Rev. 1982 46 43
- Reedijk J. Bioinorganic Catalysis Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1993
- a) Herron N. Biomimetic Polymers Gebelein C.G. Plenum Press New York 1990 b) Balkus, K.J. Jr. Gabrielov A.G. Bell S.L. Bedioui F. Roué L. Devynck J. Inorg. Chem. 33 67 1994
- Beck J.S. et al.
- Corma A Forens V. Garcia H. Miranda M.A. Sabater M.J. J. Am Chem. Soc. 1994 116 9767
- Southwest Research Institute
- Pouchart C.J. The Aldrich Library of Infrared Spectra 3rd Aldrich Chemical Milwaukee, WI 1981
- Engler B.H. Leyrer J. Lox E.S. Ostgathe K. “Catalytic Reduction of NOx with Hydrocarbons under Lean Diesel Exhaust Gas Conditions,” SAE Paper 930735 Detroit, Michigan March 1-5 1993
- Heimrich M.J. Deviney M.L “Lean NOx Catalyst Evaluation and Characterization,” SAE Paper 930736 Detroit, Michigan March 1-5 1993
- Heimrich M.J. “Demonstration of Lean NOx Catalytic Converter Technology on a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” Final Report for the California Air Resources Board ARB May 1996
- Williamson W.B. Summers J.C. Scaparo J.A. Catalytic Control of Air Pollution. Mobile and Stationary Sources Silver R.G. Sawyer J.E. Summers J.C. ACS Symposium Series 495 American Chemical Society Washington, DC 1992 26 41
- Pandey K.K. Coord. Chem. Rev. 1983 69 98
- Mergler Y.J. Van Aalst A. Nievrenhrys B.E. Reduction of Nitrogen Oxide Emissions Ozkam U.S. Agarwal S.K. Marcelin G. ACS Symposium Series 587 American Chemical Society Washington, DC 1995 196 207
- Chuang S.S.C. Krishnamurtty R. Srinivas A. Reduction of Nitrogen Oxide Emissions Ozkam U.S. Agarwal S.K. Marcelin G. ACS Symposium Series 587 American Chemical Society Washington, DC 1995 183 195