This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Determination of the Instantaneous Frictional Torque in Multicylinder Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental method for determining the Instantaneous Frictional Torque (IFT) using pressure transducers on every cylinder and speed measurements at both ends of the crankshaft is presented.
The speed variation measured at one end of the crankshaft is distorted by torsional vibrations making it difficult to establish a simple and direct correlation between the acting torque and measured speed. Using a lumped mass model of the crankshaft and modal analysis techniques, the contributions of the different natural modes to the motion along the crankshaft axis are determined. Based on this model a method was devised to combine speed measurements made at both ends of the crankshaft in such a way as to eliminate the influence of torsional vibrations and obtain the equivalent rigid body motion of the crankshaft. This motion, the loading torque and the gas pressure torque are utilized to determine the IFT.
CitationTaraza, D., Henein, N., and Bryzik, W., "Experimental Determination of the Instantaneous Frictional Torque in Multicylinder Engines," SAE Technical Paper 962006, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962006.
- Leary W. Jovellanos J. A Study of Piston and Ring Friction NACA Wartime Report 1947
- Koch F. Geiger U. Hermsen F.G. PIFFO - Piston Friction Force Measurements During Engine Operation SAE Paper 960 306 1996
- Uras H. M. Patterson D. J. Measurement of Piston and Ring Assembly Friction Instantaneous IMEP Method SAE Paper 830416 1983
- Rezeka S. F. Henein N. A. A New Approach to Evaluate Friction and Its Components in Internal Combustion Engines SAE Paper 840179 1984
- Nestorides E. J. A Handbook on Torsional Vibrations Cambridge at the University Press 1958
- Hafner K. E. Maass H. Torsionsschwingungen in der Verbrennungskraftmaschine Springer Verlag Wien New-York 1985
- Chen K. S. Chang T. Crankshaft Torsional and Damping Simulation - An Update and Correlation with Test Results SAE Paper 861226 1986
- Taraza D. Possibilities to Reconstruct Indicator Diagrams by Analysis of the Angular Motion of the Crankshaft SAE Paper 932414 1993
- Taraza D. Estimation of the Mean Indicated Pressure from Measurements of the Crankshaft Angular Speed Variation SAE Paper 932413 1993