This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spray Dynamics of High Pressure Fuel Injectors for DI Gasoline Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental study was made to investigate the spray characteristics of high pressure fuel injectors for direct-injection gasoline engines. The global spray development process was visualized using two-dimensional laser Mie scattering technique. The spray atomization process was characterized by Phase Doppler particle analyzer. The transient spray development process was investigated under different fuel injection conditions as a function of the time after the fuel injection start. The effects of injector design, fuel injection pressure, injection duration, ambient pressure, and fuel property on the spray breakup and atomization characteristics were studied in details. Two clear counter-rotating recirculation zones are observed at the later stage or after the end of fuel injection inside the fuel sprays with a small momentum. The circumferential distribution of the spray from the large-angle injector is quite irregular and looks like a star with several wings projected out. With an increase in the ambient pressure, both the spray tip penetration and the spray width decrease monotonically and the asymmetric distribution of the spray is reduced by the increased ambient pressure. Around the spray center, both the large-angle and small-angle injectors generate droplets with a smaller size, higher velocity and smaller velocity dispersion ratio.
CitationZhao, F., Yoo, J., Liu, Y., and Lai, M., "Spray Dynamics of High Pressure Fuel Injectors for DI Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 961925, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961925.
- Alperstein, M. Schafer, G. H. Vilfforth, F. J. III 1974 “Texaco's Stratified Charge Engine - Multifuel, Efficient, Clean, and Practical,” SAE Technical Paper , No. 740563
- Urlaub, A. G. Chmela, F. G. 1974 “High-Speed, Multifuel Engine: L9204 FMV SAE Technical Paper, No. 740122
- Scussel, A. J. Simko, A. 0. Wade, W. R_ 1978 “The Ford PROCO Engine Update,” SAE Technical Paper, No. 780699
- Kume, T. Iwamoto, Y. Iida, K. Murakami, M. Akishino, K. Ando, H. 1996 “Combustion Control technologies for Direct Injection SI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper, No. 960600
- Kuwahara, K. Watanabe, T. Shudo, T. Ando, H. 1996 “A Study of Combustion Characteristics in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine by High-Speed Spectroscopic Measurement,” Proceedings of the l3th Internal Combustion Engines Symposium - Japan 145 150
- Meccan, K. A. 1995 “MMC Ready with First DI Gasoline Engine,” Ward's Engine Update Vol. 21 11 2
- Subhapertons, H Emmenthal, K.-D. Grabe, H.-J. Oppermann, W. 1991 “VW's Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Research Engine,” SAE Technical Paper, No. 910054
- Spiegel, L. Spicher, U. 1992 “Mixture Formation and Combustion in a Spark Ignition Engine with Direct Fuel Injection,” SAE Technical Paper, No. 920521
- Lake, T. H. Christie, M. J. Stokes, J. Horada, O. Shimotani, K. 1994 “Preliminary Investigation of Solenoid Activated In-Cylinder Injection in Stoichiemetric S.I. Engine,” SAE Technical Paper, No. 940483
- Shimotani, K. Oikawa, K. Horada, 0. Kagawa, Y. 1995 “Characteristics of Gasoline In-cylinder Direct Injection Engine,” Proceedings of the l2th Internal Combustion Engines Symposium - Japan 289 294
- Shimotani, K. Oikawa, K. Tashiro, Y. Horada, 0. 1996 “Characteristics of Exhaust Emission on Gasoline In-Cylinder Direct Injection Engine,” Proceedings of the 13th Internal Combustion Engines Simposium - Japan 115 120
- Gualtieri, J. Sawyer, C. A. 1995 “Toyota, Mitsubishi DI Gas Engines Debut,” Automotive Industries August 1995 30
- Yamada, T. 1996 “Trends of S. I. Engine Technologies in Japan,” FISITA-96 Technical Paper , No. P0204
- Fraidl, G. K. Piock, W. F. wirth, M. 1996 “Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems,” SAE Technical Papers, No. 960465
- Inter-Tech Energy Progress, Inc. 1996 “Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” Engine Technology Progress in Japan January 1996 1 11
- Fansler, T. D. French, D. T. Drake, M. C. 1995 “Fuel Distribution in a Firing Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine Using laser-Induced Fluorescence Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper, No. 950110
- Anderson, R. W. Brehob, D. D. Yang, J. Valiance, J. K. Whiteaker, R. M. 1996 “A New Direct Injection Spark Ignition (Disi) Combustion System for Low Emissions,” FlSlTA-96 Technical Paper, No. P0201
- Takagi, Y. 1996 “The Role of Mixture Formation in Improving Fuel Economy and Reducing Emissions of Automotive S.I. Engines,” FISITA-96 Technical Paper, No. P0109
- Ando, H. 1996 “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” Proceedings of the 73th JSME Annual Meeting (V), No. WS 11-(4)
- Takagi, Y. 1996 “Combustion Characteristics and Research Topics of In-Cylinder Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” Proceedings of the 73th JSME Annual Meeting No.
- Zhao, F.-Q. Lai, M.-C. Liu, Y. Yoo, J.-H. Zhang, L. Yoshida, Y. 1996 “Spray Characteristics of Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” Proceedings of ILASS-America 150 154
- Hiroyasu, R 1991 “Experimental and Theoretical Studies on the Structure of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines,” Proceedings of ICLASS-91 17 32
- Zhao, F.-Q. Lai, M.-C. Harrington, D. L. 1995 “The Spray Characteristics of Automotive Port Fuel Injection - A Critical Review,” SAE Technical Paper , No. 950506
- Salters, D. Williams, P. Greig, A. 1996 “Fuel Spray Characterisation within an Optically Accessed Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Using a CCD Imaging System,” SAE Technical Paper , No. 961149
- Dodge, L. 1996 “Fuel Preparation Requirements for Direct-Injected Spark Ignition Engines,” Proceedings of ILASS-America 120 124