This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of In-Use Alternative Fuel Vehicle Emission Performance Under EPA and BC AirCare Test Cycles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Province of BC requires all light duty vehicles in the lower mainland to pass or conditionally pass an emissions inspection as a condition of license and insurance renewal. Vehicles converted to natural gas and propane fail emissions tests at higher rates than comparable vehicles run on gasoline.
Work is described to investigate the emissions performance of vehicles fitted with after-market conversions. FTP 75, Hot 505 and BC AirCare test cycles (total 74) were performed on a variety of vehicles (total 20) which were split between dual-fuel and mono-fuel using propane or natural gas along with gasoline. All but three vehicles were supplied by the manufacturer to run on gasoline with closed-loop air/fuel ratio feedback. The after market conversions consisted of both open-loop and closed-loop feedback systems for the gaseous fuel systems. The emissions performance of current gaseous fuel control technology against pre-1993 technology and the operation of dual-fuel vehicles on both fuels against original gasoline performance or against the vehicle's emissions standards were assessed. The open-loop control systems on two vehicles were upgraded to closed-loop systems and the improvements in emission performance were demonstrated.
|Technical Paper||Development of a Clean, Efficient, Propane-Fueled Tractor|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Evaporative and Exhaust Emissions as Influenced by Benzene Content of Gasoline|
|Technical Paper||Evaporative Emissions from Late-Model In-Use Vehicles|
CitationInglis B.C., A., Prakash, C., and Stewart, S., "Study of In-Use Alternative Fuel Vehicle Emission Performance Under EPA and BC AirCare Test Cycles," SAE Technical Paper 961709, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961709.
- Stewart S Gourley D Loo S “Correcting Emissions Problems in Existing Propane and Natural Gas Vehicles” SAE 952380
- British Columbia Vehicle Emissions Inspection and Maintenance Program Test Procedure for AirCare ASM 2525/Idle/2500rpm Test May 24 1995 June 1 1994
- Stewart S Gourley D Loo S “Experience of Alternative Fuel Vehicle Conversions” SAE 941913
- British Columbia Vehicle Emissions Inspection and Maintenance Program AirCare Repair: The Emissions Repair Advisory Spring 1993
- Loo S Stewart S Gourley D “Certification of the Repair Industry” SAE 950483
- Loo S Stewart S Gourley D “Effectiveness of Repairs” SAE 950482
- Hung L “Emissions Test Program” GTC Project NGV 200-4.14.4 Gas Technology Canada
- Carter S Prakash C “Emissions Performance of Natural Gas Vehicles Using Aftermarket Conversions” EV03 IANGV 4th Biennial International Conference & Exhibition on Natural Gas Vehicles Toronto October 3-6th 1994
- Kelly KJ “Correlation of I/M240 and FTP Emissions for Alternative Motor Fuels Act Test Vehicles” SAE 941901