This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
International Space Station THC/IMV Development Test and Analytical Model Correlation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The International Space Station (ISS) Temperature and Humidity Control (THC) system has been reconfigured from the Space Station Freedom (SSF) configuration to meet new interface requirements and to implement a new “parasitic” air cooling scheme. This scheme provides Lab THC cooled air to Node 1, and more critically integrates Node 1 ports at different stages of space station assembly.
A joint development test of the complex U.S. Lab and Node 1 integrated THC/IMV ducting system was conducted in the summer of 1995 at the McDonnell Douglas test facility in Huntington Beach, California. The purpose of the test was to show overall capability of the ducting system to meet basic requirements, and to provide detailed flow and pressure drop performance data for individual duct segments.
This paper provides correlations of the test data with analytical data obtained from a computerized model of the THC/IMV ducting system. The applications of the correlated and adjusted math model include analyses for ground testing support, flight qualification, and flight support.
CitationBarker, R., von Jouanne, R., and Schrader, T., "International Space Station THC/IMV Development Test and Analytical Model Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 961401, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961401.
- Schrader, Ted “ISSA Node/Lab ECLSS Flow Balance Development Test Documentation Drawing” McDonnell Douglas Corp. Drawing 1T73837 January 11 1996
- Boeing Document D683-30032-2 “VE-023 Submittal from IPT 33 (IMV/THC/TCS/FDS/ACS IPT); Analyses and Analytical Models, Assembly and Subassembly, Section 103: Analysis Report for the Intermodule Ventilation Test” von Jouanne R.G. Son C.H. February 1995
- Stout, W.L. Seibel, W. “Multibranch Duct Flow Computer Program - User's Manual” Boeing Co. Report December 12 1987
- von Jouanne, R.G. Barker, R.S. “Temperature Control Analysis for the U.S. Lab, Node 1, and Elements Attached to Node 1” ICES 1996, SAE 96XXXX July 1996
- Weiner, F.R. et al. “SAE Aerospace Applied Thermodynamics Manual, AIR 1168/1, Thermodynamics of Incompressible and Compressible Flow” 1989