This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Quantification of Laser-Induced Incandescence (LII) for Planar Time Resolved Measurements of the Soot Volume Fraction in a Combusting Diesel Jet
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Quantitative Laser-Induced Incandescence (LII) has been applied to investigate the soot formation in a combusting Diesel jet for various conditions.
For the quantification of the LII signal the local soot volume fraction of a diffusion flame burner was measured using laser beam extinction. These data were used for the calibration of the LII signal.
The investigation of the soot formation in a combusting Diesel jet was performed in a high pressure, high temperature combustion chamber with optical access. A wide range of pressure (up to 10 MPa) and temperature (up to 1,500 K) conditions could be covered using a hydrogen precombustion, which is initiated inside the chamber before fuel injection. The influence of different gas atmospheres have been investigated by varying the gas composition (H2, O2 and N2) inside the chamber.
Local soot volume fractions (up to 12 × 10-6) of different combusting Diesel sprays were measured time (<100 ns) and 2D-spatially resolved (578 x 384 Pixel, <100 μm per pixel). The measurements indicate, that at the initial stage of combustion a decrease of the oxygen concentration of 25% (compared to air) reduces the maximum local soot volume fraction by a factor of 5 to 6. Additionally at this condition the ignition delay is longer.
CitationWiltafsky, G., Stolz, W., Köhler, J., and Espey, C., "The Quantification of Laser-Induced Incandescence (LII) for Planar Time Resolved Measurements of the Soot Volume Fraction in a Combusting Diesel Jet," SAE Technical Paper 961200, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961200.
SAE 1996 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V105-4; Published: 1997-09-15
Number: V105-4; Published: 1997-09-15
- Dec J. E. Espey C. “Ignition and Early Soot Formation in a DI Diesel Engine Using Multiple 2-D Imaging Diagnostics” SAE Paper 950456 1995
- Espey C. Dec John E. “Diesel Engine Combustion Studies in a Newly Designed Optical-Access Engine using High Speed Visualization and 2-D Laser Imaging” SAE Paper 930971 1993
- Dec J. E. zur Loye Axel O. Siebers Dennis L. “Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Laser-Induced Incandescence Imaging” SAE Paper 910224 1991
- Dec J. E. “Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Imaging of Laser-Induced Incandescence, Elastic Scattering, and Flame Luminosity” SAE Paper 920115 1992
- Espey C. Dec J. E. “Diesel Engine Combustion Studies in a Newly Designed Optical-Access Engine Using High-Speed Visualization and 2-D Laser Imaging” SAE Paper 930971 1993
- Kosaka H. Nishigaki T. Kamimoto T. “A Study on Soot Formation and Oxidation in an Unsteady Spray Flame via Laser Induced Incandescence and Scattering Techniques” SAE Paper 952451 1995
- Pinson J. A. Mitchell D. L. Santoro R. J. Litzinger T. A. “Quantitative, Planar Soot Measurements in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using Laser-Induced Incandescence and Light Scattering” SAE Paper 932650 1993
- Won Y. H. Kamimoto T. Kosaka H. “A Study on Soot Formation in Unsteady Spray Flames via 2-D Soot Imaging” SAE Paper 920114 1992
- Melton L. A. “Soot Diagnostics Based on Laser Heating” Appl. Opt. Vol. 23 No. 13 ( 1984 )
- Quay B. Lee T.-W. NI T. Santoro R. J. “Spatially Resolved Measurements of Soot Volume Fraction Using Laser-Induced Incandescence” Combustion and Flame 97 384 392 ( 1994 )
- Santoro R. J. Semerjian H. G. Dobbins R. A. “Soot Particle Measurements in Diffusion Flames” Combustion and Flame 51 203 218 ( 1983 )
- Gülder Ömer L. Snelling D. R. “Formation and Temperature of Soot Particles in Laminar Diffusion Flames with Elevated Temperatures” 23th Symposium (int.) on Combustion 1990 pp. 1509 1515
- Gülder Ömer L. “Influence of Sulfur Dioxide on Soot Formation in Diffusion Flames” Combustion and Flame 92 410 418 ( 1993 )
- Gülder Ö. L. “Soot Formation in Laminar Diffusion Flames at Elevated Temperatures” Combustion and Flame 88 74 82 ( 1992 )
- Gülder Ö. L. “Influence of Hydrocarbon Fuel Structural Constitution and Flame Temperature on Soot Formation in Laminar Diffusion Flames” Combustion and Flame 78 179 194 ( 1989 )
- Lee S.C. Tien C. L. “Optical Constants of Soot in Hydrocarbon Flames” 18th Symposium (int.) on Combustion 1981 pp. 1159 1166
- Ramachandran G. N. Lakshminarayanan A. V. “Three-dimensional Reconstruction from Radiographs and Electron Micrographs: Application of Convolutions instead Fourier Transforms” Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA Vol. 68 No. 9 pp 2236 2240 Sept. 1971
- Dasch Cameron J. “One-Dimensional Tomographie: A Comparison of Abel, Onion-Peeling, and Filtered Backprojection Methods” Appl. Opt. Vol 31 No. 8 10 March 1992
- Siebers D. L. “Ignition Delay Characteristics of Alternative Diesel Fuels: Implications on Cetane Number” SAE Transactions Vol. 94 pp. 673 686 1985
- Oren D. C. Wahiduzzaman S. Ferguson C. R. “A Diesel Combustion Bomb: Proof of Concept” SAE Transactions Vol. 93 Sect. 4 1984
- Durrett R. P. Oren D. C. Ferguson C. R. “A Multidimensional Data Set for Diesel Combustion Model Validation: I - Initial Conditions, Pressure History and Spray Shapes” SAE Paper 872087 1987
- Young Argiro Kubica “Cantata: Visual Programming Environement for the Khoros System” Computer Graphics Vol. 29 No. 2 22 24 ( 1995 )
- Young Argiro Worley “An Object Orientated Visual Programming Language Toolkit” Computer Graphics Vol. 29 No. 2 25 28 ( 1995 )