This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions - Part 1: Effect of Reducing Inlet Charge Oxygen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This is a first of a series of papers describing how the replacement of some of the inlet air with EGR modifies the diesel combustion process and thereby affects the exhaust emissions. This paper deals with only the reduction of oxygen in the inlet charge to the engine (dilution effect).
The oxygen in the inlet charge to a direct injection diesel engine was progressively replaced by inert gases, whilst the engine speed, fuelling rate, injection timing, total mass and the specific heat capacity of the inlet charge were kept constant. The use of inert gases for oxygen replacement, rather than carbon dioxide (CO2) or water vapour normally found in EGR, ensured that the effects on combustion of dissociation of these species were excluded. In addition, the effects of oxygen replacement on ignition delay were isolated and quantified. Results from final set of tests are also presented during which the inlet charge temperature was raised progressively to quantify the effect that EGR temperature has on combustion and emissions.
The reduction in the inlet charge oxygen (dilution effect) resulted in very large reductions in exhaust NOx level at the expense of rises in particulates and unburnt hydrocarbon emissions. The engine power output and fuel economy also deteriorated substantially. Raising the inlet charge temperature increases NOx but also, substantially, the exhaust smoke and particulate emissions.
CitationLadommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S., Zhao, H., and Hu, Z., "The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions - Part 1: Effect of Reducing Inlet Charge Oxygen," SAE Technical Paper 961165, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961165.
Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission Characteristics
Number: SP-1179; Published: 1996-05-01
Number: SP-1179; Published: 1996-05-01
- Walsh, M. “Global Trends in Diesel Particulate Control-A 1995 Update” SAE Paper No. 950149 1995
- Lapuerta, M. Salavert, J.M. Domenech, C. “Modelling and Experimental Study About the Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emissions” SAE Paper No. 950216 1995
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill Book Company 1988
- Tabata, M. Yamamoto, T. Fukube, T. “Improving NO x and Fuel Economy for Mixtur Injected SI Engine with EGR” SAE Paper No. 950684 1995
- Torpey, P.M. Whitehead, M.J. Wright, M. “Experiments in the Control of Diesel Emissions” Conference on Air Pollution Control in Transport Engines 9-11 Nov. 1971
- Narusawa, K. Odaka, M. Koike, N. Tsukamoto, Y. Yoshida, K. “An EGR Control Method for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines under Transient Operations.” SAE Paper No. 900444 1990
- Tokura, N. Terasaka, K. Yasuhara, S. “Process through which Soot Intermixes into Lubricating oil of a Diesel Engine with Exhaust Gas Recirculation” SAE Paper No. 820082 1982
- Nagai, I. Endo, H. Nakamura, H. Yano, H. “Soot and Valve Train Wear in Passenger Car Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 831757 1983
- Cadman, W. Johnson, J.H. “The Study of the Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Engine Wear in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Using Analytical Ferrography” SAE Paper No. 860378 1986
- Last, R.J. Kruger, M. Durnholz, M. “Emissions and Performance Characteristics of a 4 Stroke, Direct Injected Diesel Engine Fuelled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper No. 950054 1995
- Mikulic, L. Kuhn, M. Schommers, J. Willig, E. “Exhaust-Emission Optimization of DI-Diesel Passenger Car Engine with High-Pressure Fuel Injection and EGR” SAE Paper No. 931035 1993
- Pierpont, D.A. Montgomery, D.T. Reitz, R.D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Using Multiple Injection and EGR in a D.I. Diesel” SAE Paper No. 950217 1995
- Uchida, N. Daisho, Y. Saito, T. Sugano, H. “Combined Effects of EGR and Supercharging on Diesel Combustion and Emissions” SAE Paper No. 930601 1993
- Odaka, M. Koike, N. Tsukamoto, Y. Narusawa, K. Yoshida, K. “Effects of EGR with a Supplemental Manifold Water Injection to Control Exhaust Emissions from Heavy-Duty Diesel Powered Vehicles” SAE Paper No. 910739 1991
- Odaka. M. Koike, N. Tsukamoto, Y. Narusawa, K. “Optimizing Control of NO x and Smoke Emissions from DI Engine with EGR and Methanol Fumigation” SAE Paper No. 920468 1992
- Hilden, D.L. Bergin, S.P. “The Effect of Manganese Fuel Additive and Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Particulate Emissions” SAE Paper No. 860621 1986
- Stawsky, A. Lawson, A. Vergeer, H.C. Sharp, F.A. “Diesel Exhaust Emissions Control Using EGR and Particulate Filter” Heavy-Duty Diesel Emission Control: A Review of Technology, Paper No. 21 Presented at the 86th Annual General Meeting of CIM Ottawa April 1984
- Khalil, N. Levendis, Y.A. Abrams, R.F. “Reducing Diesel Particulate and NO x Emissions via Filtration and Particle-Free Exhaust Gas Recirculation” SAE Paper No. 950736 1995
- Plee, S.L. Ahmad, T. Myers, J.P. Faeth, G.M. “Diesel NO x Emissions- A Simple Correlation Technique for Intake Air Effects” Nineteenth symposium (international) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1495 1502 1982
- Plee, S.L. Ahmad, T. Myers, J.P. Siegla, D.C. “Effects of Flame Temperature and Air-Fuel mixing on Emissions of Particulate Carbon from a Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine” Particulate Carbon-Formation During Combustion 423 487 Plenum Press N.Y. 1981
- Lida, N. Sato, G.T “Temperature and Mixing Effects on NO x and Particulate” SAE Paper No. 880424 1988
- Lida, N. “Surrounding Gas Effects on Soot Formation and Extinction - Observation of Diesel Spray Combustion Using a Rapid Compression Machine” SAE Paper No. 930603 1993
- Mitchell, D.L. Pinson, J.A. Litzinger, T.A. “The Effects of Simulated EGR via Intake Air Dilution on Combustion in an Optically Accessible DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 932798 1993
- Ropke, S. Schweimer, G.W. Strauss, T.S. “NOx Formation in Diesel Engines for Various Fuels and Intake Gases” SAE Paper No. 950213 1995
- Ladommatos, N. Parsi, M. Knowles, A. “The Effect of Fuel Cetane Improver on Diesel Pollutant Emissions” Fuel 74 1 1995
- Nandi, M.K. Jacobs, D.C. Liotta, F.J. Jr. Kesling, H.S. Jr. “The Performance of a Peroxide Based Cetane Improvement Additive in Different Diesel Fuels” SAE Paper No. 942019 1994
- Durnholz, M. Eifler, G. Endres, H. “Exhaust Gas Recirculation - A Measure to Reduce Exhaust Emissions of DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 920725 1992