This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Pilot Fuel Injection System for CNG Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper discusses objectives, approaches and results of the development of a pilot fuel injection system (FIS) for a dedicated, compression ignition, high-speed, heavy duty natural gas/diesel engine. The performance of the pilot FIS is crucial for the success of a dual fuel concept. The Servojet electro-hydraulic, accumulator type fuel system was chosen for the pilot fuel injection. An alternative pilot FIS based on the “water hammer” (WH) effect was also considered. The modifications to a stock 17 min injector is described. Three different types of pilot injector nozzle were investigated: standard Valve Covered Orifice (VCO), modified minisac and new designed, unthrottled pintle. Preliminary results from engine tests proved that the optimum pilot fuel quantity is the minimum quantity. Based on that finding, the pilot FIS design was further optimized. Finally, a minimum pilot fuel delivery of 1 mmˆ3 and injection duration of 0.6 ms were achieved during bench testing, with other satisfactory injection characteristics. Although most of the objectives of pilot FIS development were met, it was concluded that significant potentials for further improvement exist.
CitationGebert, K., Beck, N., Barkhimer, R., Wong, H. et al., "Development of Pilot Fuel Injection System for CNG Engine," SAE Technical Paper 961100, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961100.
- Gebert, K. “Development of Micropilot Dual Fuel Natural Gas Engine” BKM report F-692 San Diego October 1995
- Gebert, K. Filipovic, I. et al “Computer Modeling of High Pressure Accumulator Type Fuel Injection System Characteristic” International Forum on Mathematical Modeling and Computer Simulation of Processes in Energy Systems Hemisphere Publishing Co. 0-89116-875-3 New York 1990
- Chen, S. K. Chen, S. X Gebert, K. “Modelling of Advanced Electronic-Hydraulic Fuel Injection Systems: Part 1. Theory, Assumptions and Features” ASME, ICE division 1995 Fall Technical Conference , Proceedings 2 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1995
- Kuentcher, V. “Application Of Charge Stratification, Lean Burn Combustion Systems and Anti-knock Control Devices in Small Two-Stroke Cycle Gasoline Engines” SAE paper 860171 1986
- Stan, C. Kuentcher, V. FISITA 1986
- Beck, N. J. at al “Direct Digital Control of Electronic Unit Injectors” SAE paper 840273 1984
- Expanding Cloud Fuel Injecting System
- Beck, N. J. Uyehara O. A. “Factors That Affect BSFC and Emissions for Diesel Engines: Part II Experimental Confirmation of Concepts Presented in Part I” SAE paper 970344 1987
- Liu, Z. Karim, G.A. “The Ignition Delay Period in Dual Fuel Engines” SAE 950466
- Nielsen, O.B. Quale, B. Sorenson S. “Ignition Delay in Dual Fuel Engine” SAE 870589