This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Aromatic Compounds in Automobile Exhaust Gases with Membrane Inlet Mass Spectrometry Equipped with an On-Line-Probe and an Automatic Tenax-Sampler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel membrane inlet mass spectrometer is used to monitor organic compounds in combustion emissions. Different gas probes, which can be changed in minutes, have been developed for use in combination with the mobile mass spectrometer. With the On-Line-Probe, volatile organic compounds (BTXE) can be measured down to the ppm range with a cycle rate of one analysis per second. Time resolved measurements of aromatic compounds together with other exhaust gases can be done. By sampling with a polymer adsorbent, analysis with thermal desorption and GC/MS down to the ppb concentration range can be achieved. A six-fold Tenax-Sampler, connected to the mobile GC/MS system, is capable of taking and transferring the samples automatically. Because sampling with this device is independent from the analysis, measurements of narrow time windows in a dynamical process can be done easily.
The whole analytical equipment was evaluated on-site through measurements on an engine test stand, a dynamometer and “on the road” during real traffic. It is shown, that time resolved quantitative measurements give information on the influence of special driving conditions (warm up, congestion) on the amount of aromatic compounds emitted by automobile exhausts.
CitationMatz, G., Walte, A., Münchmeyer, W., and Rikeit, H., "Measurement of Aromatic Compounds in Automobile Exhaust Gases with Membrane Inlet Mass Spectrometry Equipped with an On-Line-Probe and an Automatic Tenax-Sampler," SAE Technical Paper 961004, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961004.
- Arnold E. Rikeit H.-E. “ Passenger Car Exhaust Emission Auditing in Production ” SAE Tech. Paper Series No. 940489 SAE 1994
- Code of Federal Regulations 40
- Krebsrisiko durch Luftverunreinigungen - Risk of Cancer by Air Pollution 1992
- Matz G. Ein mobiles Massenspektrometersystem zur Erfassung umweltbelastender Schadstoffe - A Mobile Mass Spectrometer System for the Detection of Environmental Pollutants 1981
- Walte A. Münchmeyer W. Matz G. On-line Abgasanalyse von Aromaten in Abgasen - On-line Analysis of Aromatic Compounds in Exhaust Gases with a Mobile GC/MS Wasser Luft und Boden 3 54 57 1995