This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Bench Test Procedure for Evaluating the Cylinder Liner Pitting Protection Performance of Engine Coolant Additives for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Evaluations of the liner pitting protection performance provided by engine coolant corrosion inhibitors and supplemental coolant additives have presented many problems. Current practice involves the use of full scale engine tests to show that engine coolant inhibitors provide sufficient liner pitting protection. These are too time-consuming and expensive to use as the basis for industry-wide specifications. Ultrasonic vibratory test rigs have been used for screening purposes in individual labs, but these have suffered from poor reproducibility and insufficient additive differentiation.
A new test procedure has been developed that reduces these problems. The new procedure compares candidate formulations against a good and bad reference fluid to reduce the concern for problems with calibration and equipment variability. Cast iron test coupons with well-defined microstructure and processing requirements significantly reduce test variability. This new procedure is expected to be used in industry specifications defining heavy duty diesel engine coolants and supplemental coolant additives with acceptable liner pitting performance capabilities.
CitationKelley, F. and McWilliams, E., "A Bench Test Procedure for Evaluating the Cylinder Liner Pitting Protection Performance of Engine Coolant Additives for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Applications," SAE Technical Paper 960879, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960879.
- Speller, F.N. LaQue, F.L. “Water Side Deterioration of Diesel Engine Cylinder Liners,” Corrosion 6 1950 209 215
- Borgman, E.H. “Mitigating Cavitation-Erosion of Engine Cylinder Liners,” Diesel and Gas Engine Power Conference and Exhibit Washington, D.C. 1-4 April 1973
- Hudgens, R.D. Carver, D.P. Hercamp, R.D. Lauterback, J. “Refinement. of the Vibratory Cavitation Erosion Test for the Screening of diesel Cooling system Corrosion Inhibitors,” Engine Coolant Testing: State of the Art, ASTM STP 705 Ailor W. H. American Society for Testing and Materials 1980 233 269
- Hercamp, R.D. “An Overview of Cavitation Corrosion of Diesel cylinder Liners,” Engine coolant Testing: Third Volume, ASTM STP 1192 Beal Roy E. American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia 1993 107 127
- Preiser, H.S. Tytell, B.H. “The Electrochemical Approach To Cavitation Damage and Its Prevention,” Corrosion 17 1961 107 121