This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Testing with Flat Surface Roadway Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
MTS Systems has built and operated a vehicle test system called the Flat-Trac® Roadway Simulator. The system measures the handling characteristics of a running automobile while holding it stationary in a laboratory. The system can also test the vibration and durability characteristics of an automobile due to driving on rough roads by moving the surface beneath each tire vertically. The automobile is driven as on the road with the machine providing relative motion by moving a flat surface beneath each tire. This paper presents the results of operating a vehicle on the system with a rough road simulated during maneuvering.
CitationLanger, W., "Vehicle Testing with Flat Surface Roadway Technology," SAE Technical Paper 960731, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960731.
- Langer W., “Durability Testing with Flat Surface Roadway Technology”, SAEJ IPC-8 paper 211, Yokohama, Japan, November, 1995
- Langer W., “Validation of Flat Surface Roadway Technology”, SAE paper 950310, February, 1995
- Argenziano G., and Volpe A., “Simulator for Car Handling Research”, ATA paper, Florence, Italy 1994
- Langer W., and Ballard R., “Development and Use of Laboratory Flat Surface Roadway Technology”, SAE paper 930834, February, 1993
- Langer W., Rossi C., “Development of the Flat-Trac™ Roadway Simulator”, ATA paper 1.1.2 volume 1 presented at 3rd International Conference “Innovation and Reliability in Automotive Design and Testing”, Firenze, Italy, April, 1992
- Mimuro T., Madokoro K., Yasunaga H., and Suzuki T., “Study of Indoor Cornering Tests on a Tester”, SAEJ paper 912153, 1991.
- Perri E., “The Design of a Roadway Handling Test Rig”, ATA paper 905098 presented at XXIII Fisita Conference, May 1990
- Schultze D., Schwarz K. and Zauner M., “Vibration Analyses and Ride Comfort Optimization on the Flat Roadway Vehicle Test Bench”, ATA paper 905100 presented at XXIII Fisita Conference, May 1990.
- Langer W., and Potts G., “Development of a Flat Surface Tire Testing Machine”, SAE paper 800245, February, 1980
- White K., “The Road Simulator, a Practical Laboratory Approach”, I. Mech. E. paper C110/85, 1985