This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Test Method for Compatibility of Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA) and Engine Coolant Concentrates
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Compatibility of coolant concentrate and SCA/water mixtures can be measured by their tendency to form insolubles during short term exposure to simulated operating conditions. A relatively simple, basic compatibility method was chosen to study the amount of silicate gel formed by coolant concentrate/SCA/water mixtures.. The method was modified to improve precision by first studying, then controlling key experimental factors. Further refinements were made to the method and a precision round robin was performed as part of the activity of the ASTM Committee D.15 on Engine Coolants.
|Technical Paper||Performance of Organic Acid Based Coolants in Heavy Duty Applications|
|Technical Paper||The Status of U. S. Coolant Standards|
|Technical Paper||A Comparison of Accelerated Coolant Aging Laboratory Tests and Field Test Results|
CitationGlomski, C. and Hudgens, R., "A New Test Method for Compatibility of Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA) and Engine Coolant Concentrates," SAE Technical Paper 960646, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960646.
- Cummins Service Topics, No. 70 CD 8-5 August 31 1970 Cummins Engine Company, Inc. Columbus, IN
- Hudgens, R.D. “The Effect of Variables on Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze - Sodium Chromate Compatibility,” internal report ETR-109 Fleetguard Div. Cummins Engine Company, Inc. Cookeville, TN
- Hercamp, R. D. Hudgens, R. D. “Silicate Gelation in Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Cooling Systems,” paper no. 852327 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa 1985
- Cummins Service Topics, No. 74T 8-17 October 1974 Cummins Engine Company, Inc. Columbus, IN.
- Annual Book of ASTM Standards 15.05 ASTM West Conshohocken, PA 1994
- Statistical Design of Experiments ( Taguchi Approach ) QUA 1400 Internal Training Manual Cummins Engine Company, Inc. Columbus, IN.
- Annual Book of ASTM Standards D1796-83(1990) Test Method for Determination of Water and Sediment in Fuel Oils by the Centrifuge Method (Laboratory Procedure) 05 01 ASTM West Conshohocken, PA 1991
- Annual Book of ASTM Standards D1966-69(1987) Test Method for Foots in Raw Linseed Oil (Gravimetric Method) 06 03 ASTM West Conshohocken, PA 1991
- Downie, N. M. Heath, R. W. Basic Statistical Methods second Harper & Row New York, NY 1965 177 78
- SAS Institute, Inc. SAS ® Language and Procedures: Usage, Version 6 Cary, NC 1989
- Form and Style for ASTM Standards 9th ASTM West Conshohocken, PA 1994
- E691-92 Standard Practice for Conducting an Interlaboratory Study to Determine Precision of a Test Method ASTM West Conshohocken, PA 1992
- Annual Book of ASTM Standards E177-90a Standard Practice for Use of the Terms Precision and Bias in ASTM Methods 14 02 ASTM West Conshohocken, PA 1991