This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated Powertrain Diagnostic System: Linking On- and Off-Board Diagnostic Strategies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A number of automotive diagnostic equipment and procedures have evolved over the last two decades, leading to two generations of on-board diagnostic requirements (OBDI and OBDII), increasing the number of components and systems to be monitored by the diagnostic tools. The goal of On-Board Diagnostic is to alert the driver to the presence of a malfunction of the emission control system, and to identify the location of the problem in order to assist mechanics in properly performing repairs.
The aim of this paper is to suggest a methodology for the development of an Integrated Powertrain Diagnostic System (EPDS) that can combine the information supplied by conventional tailpipe inspection programs with onboard diagnostics to provide fast and reliable diagnosis of malfunctions.
CitationSoliman, A., Rizzoni, G., and Krishnaswami, V., "Integrated Powertrain Diagnostic System: Linking On- and Off-Board Diagnostic Strategies," SAE Technical Paper 960621, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960621.
Design Innovations in Engine Management and Driveline Controls
Number: SP-1153; Published: 1996-02-01
Number: SP-1153; Published: 1996-02-01
- Costin M. H. “On-board diagnostics of vehicle emission system components: review of upcoming government regulations” Proc. IFAC SAFEPROCESS symposium Baden-Baden, Germany Sept. 1991 497 501
- Gray M. “Overcoming the Limitations of the System Architecture of on-Board Vehicle Diagnostics” SAE Technical Paper 940432 SAE International Congress and Exposition Feb. 28-March 3, 1994 Detroit, MI
- Gertler J. et al “Model-based on-board fault detection and diagnosis for automotive engines” IFAC SAFEPROCESS symposium Baden-Baden, Germany Sept. 1991 503 508
- Gertler J. et al, “Model-based on-board fault detection and diagnosis of automotive engines” Control Engineering Practice 1 3 17 Jan. 1993
- Rizzoni G. Wang Y-Y. Kim Y-W. “Design of an Engine Torque Estimator Using Unknown Input Observers” Proceedings of the European Control Conference Rome, Italy Sept. 1995
- Krishnaswami V. Luh G. C Rizzoni G. “Nonlinear Parity Equation Based Residual Generation For Diagnosis of Automotive Engine faults” Control Engineering Practice. 3 10 1385 1392 May 1995
- Leontaritis I. J. Billings S. A. 1985a “Input-Output Parametric Models for Non-Linear Systems Part I: Deterministic Non-Linear Systems,” Int. J. Control 41 2 303 328
- Braun Simon Mechanical Signature Analysis Academic Press 1986
- Marko K. Bryant B. Soderborg N. “Neural Network Application To Comprehensive Engine Diagnostics” IEEE Systems, Man, And Cybernetics Conference Chicago October 22, 1992
- DeJong R. Powell R. Manning J. “Engine Monitoring Using Vibration Signals” SAE Technical Paper 861246 International Off-Highway & Powerplant Congress & Exposition Milwaukee, WI September 8-11, 1986
- Kim Y.W. Rizzoni G. Wang Y.Y. Samimy B. “Analysis and Processing of Shaft Angular Velocity Signals in Rotating Machinery for Diagnostic Applications” IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP 1995 Detroit, MI May 1995
- Rizzoni G. “Diagnosis of Individual Cylinder Misfires by Signature Analysis of Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations” SAE Technical Paper 890884 SAE International Congress & Exposition Detroit, MI February 27-March 3, 1989
- Milne R. “Strategies for Diagnosis” IEEE Transactions On Systems. Man. And Cybernetics SMC-17 3 May/June 1987
- Klausmeier R. “Using A.I. in the Vehicle Diagnostic Systems” SAE West Coast International Meeting Universal City, CA August 4-7, 1986
- Dankel D. II “Expert Systems: Misconception and Reality” SAE Technical Paper 860334 SAE International Congress & Exposition Detroit, MI February 24-28, 1986
- Gertler J. “Analytical redundancy methods in fault detection and isolation (Survey and Synthesis)” Proc. IFAC SAFEPROCESS symposium Baden-Baden, Germany Sept. 1991 9 21
- Soliman A. Rizzoni G. “The effects of various engine control system malfunctions on exhaust emissions levels during the I/M 240 cycle” SAE Technical Paper 940448 SAE International Congress and Exposition March 1-5, 1994 Detroit, MI