This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Combustion of Hydrogen-Enriched Gasoline in a Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An investigation has been done on the influence of small amounts of hydrogen added to hydrocarbons-air mixtures on combustion characteristics.
The effect of hydrogen addition to a hydrocarbon-air mixture was firstly approached in an experimental bomb, to measure the laminar burning velocity and the shift of lean flammability limit.
Experiments carried out with a single-cylinder four stroke SI engine confirmed the possibility of expanding the combustion stability limit, which correlates well with the general trend of enhancing the rate of combustion. An increase of brake thermal efficiency has been obtained with a reduction of HC emissions; the NOx emissions were higher, except for very lean mixtures.
|Technical Paper||Performance and Fuel Consumption Estimation of a Hydrogen Enriched Gasoline Engine at Part-Load Operation|
|Technical Paper||Effects of Hydrogen Addition to SI Engine on Knock Behavior|
CitationApostolescu, N. and Chiriac, R., "A Study of Combustion of Hydrogen-Enriched Gasoline in a Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 960603, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960603.
Advances in Engine Combustion and Flow Diagnostics
Number: SP-1157; Published: 1996-02-01
Number: SP-1157; Published: 1996-02-01
- Houseman, J. Hoehn, F. W. “A Two-Charge Engine Concept: Hydrogen Enrichment” SAE Paper 741169 1974
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology “Hydrogen-Enrichment-Concept Preliminary Evaluation Final Report” 1975
- Furuhama, S. et al. “Combustion Improvement in a Hydrogen Fueled Engine” Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy 2 3 205 209 1977
- Swain, M. R. et al. “The Effects of Hydrogen Addition on Natural Gas Engine Operation” SAE Paper 932775 1993
- Rauckis, M. J. McLean, W. J. “The Effect of Hydrogen Addition on Ignition Delays and Flame Propagation in Spark Ignition Engines” Combustion Sci. and Tech. 19 207 216 1979
- Sher, E. Hacohen Y. “Ignition Delay and Combustion Duration in H2-Enriched Gasoline SI Engines” Combustion Sci. and Tech. 65 263 275 1989
- Watson, H. C. et al. “A combustion solution to combustion variability” I. Mech. E. Paper C389/215 339 345 1992
- May, H. Gwinner, D. “Possibilities of improving exhaust emissions and energy consumption in mixed hydrogen-gasoline operation” Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy 8 2 121 129 1983
- Apostolescu, N. Chiriac, R. “Laminar burning characteristics of some hydrogen hydrocarbon gas mixtures” Entropie 182 13 20 1994
- Chiriac, R. “A study of the influence of small amounts of hydrogen on combustion in spark ignition engine” Bucharest 1995
- Rhodes, D. B. Keck, J. S. “Laminar Burning Speed Measurements of Indolene-Air-Diluent Mixtures at High Pressures and Temperatures” SAE Paper 850047 1985
- Metghalchi, M. Keck, J. C. “Burning Velocities of Mixtures of Air with Methanol, Isooctane and Indolene at High Pressure and Temperature” Combustion and Flame 48 191 210 1982
- Yu, G. et al. “Laminar Flame Speeds of Hydrocarbon+Air Mixtures with Hydrogen Addition” Combustion and Flame 63 339 347 1986
- Sher, E. Ozdor, N. “Laminar Burning Velocities of n-Butane/Air Mixtures Enriched with Hydrogen” Combustion and Flame 89 214 220 1992
- Milton, B. E. Keck, J. C. “Laminar Burning Velocities in Stoichiometric Hydrogen-Hydrocarbon Mixtures” Combustion and Flame 58 13 22 1984
- Karim, G. A. Wierzba, I. “Experimental and Analytical Studies ot the Lean Operational Limits In Methane Fuelled Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 891637 1989
- Hires, S. D. Tabaczynski, R. J. “The prediction of ignition delay and combustion intervals for a homogeneous charge, spark ignition engine” SAE Paper 780232 1978
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill Book Comp. New-York 1988
- Williams, F. A. “Combustion Theory” 2nd The Benjamin/cummings Publ. Comp. Menlo Park 1985