This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Lean Burn Engine with a Variable Valve Timing Mechanism
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Most currently produced lean-burn engines can achieve good fuel economy, but must be further developed to gain better vehicle performance and driveability. Honda has developed a new lean-burn engine which incorporates 3-stage variable valve timing and lift mechanism, swirl promotion at low engine speed, and a new intake port configuration. This engine generates approximately 40% more power over our current lean burn engine and improves the dynamic performance of the vehicle. At the same time, it maintains a fuel consumption level equal to that of the current engine.
|Technical Paper||Mapping Work on 2.1 Litre Petrol Engine|
|Journal Article||Assessing a Hybrid Supercharged Engine for Diluted Combustion Using a Dynamic Drive Cycle Simulation|
- Masato Matsuki - Honda Research and Development Co., Ltd.
- Kenji Nakano - Honda Research and Development Co., Ltd.
- Tohru Amemiya - Honda Research and Development Co., Ltd.
- Yuichiro Tanabe - Honda Research and Development Co., Ltd.
- Daisuke Shimizu - Honda Research and Development Co., Ltd.
- Ichirou Ohmura - Honda Research and Development Co., Ltd.
CitationMatsuki, M., Nakano, K., Amemiya, T., Tanabe, Y. et al., "Development of a Lean Burn Engine with a Variable Valve Timing Mechanism," SAE Technical Paper 960583, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960583.
- Horie K. et al. “The Development of a High Fuel Economy and High Performance Four-Valve Lean Burn Engine” SAE Paper 920455
- Yagi S. “Research and Development of High-Speed, High-Performance, Small Displacement Honda Engines” SAE Transaction 79 1970 700122
- Quader A. A. “The Axially-Stratified-Charge Engine” SAE Paper 820131
- Hardalupas Y. et al. “Influence of Injection Timing on In-Cylinder Fuel Distribution in a Honda VTEC-E Engine” SAE Paper 950507
- Shimasaki Y. et al. “Development on digital filtering technology of crank speed measurement to detect misfire in internal combustion engine at high speed revolution” JSAE Paper 9537952