This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Newly Developed Intelligent Variable Valve Timing System - Continuously Controlled Cam Phasing as Applied to a New 3 Liter Inline 6 Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To meet the requirements for higher horsepower and torque as well as lower fuel consumption and emissions, we have developed a new “Intelligent Variable Valve Timing (VV-i)” system. It gives continuously variable intake cam phasing by up to 60 degrees crank angle (CA) . This system not only increases WOT output by optimizing intake valve closing timing but also reduces fuel consumption and NOx/ HC emissions under part load by increasing intake and exhaust valve overlap on 4 stroke Spark Ignited engines.
VVT-i has been applied to optimize a new 3-liter inline 6 engine for higher torque and at the same time better fuel economy with continuous and wide-range cam phasing.
CitationMoriya, Y., Watanabe, A., Uda, H., Kawamura, H. et al., "A Newly Developed Intelligent Variable Valve Timing System - Continuously Controlled Cam Phasing as Applied to a New 3 Liter Inline 6 Engine," SAE Technical Paper 960579, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960579.
- Maekawa K. Ohsawa N. Akasaka A. “Development of a Valve Timing Control System” SAE Paper No. 890680 1989
- Grohn M. Wolf K. “Variable Valve Timing in the new Mercedes-Benz Four-Vaive Engines” SAE Paper No. 891990 1989
- Inoue K. Nagahiro K. Ajiku Y. Kishi N. “A High Power, Wide Torque Range, Efficient Engine With a Newly Developed Variable-Valve-Lift and-Timing Mechanism” SAE Paper No. 890675 1989
- Titolo A. “The Variable Valve Timing System - Application on V8 Engine” SAE Paper No. 910009 1991
- Urata Y. Umiyarna H. Shimizu K. Fujiyoshi Y. Sono H. Fukuo K. “A Study of Vehicle Equipped with Non-Throttling S.I. Engine with Early Intake Valve Closing Mechanism” SAE Paper No. 930820 1993
- Chattopadhay A. “The Practical Application and Effects of a Variable Event Valve Timing System” SAE Paper No. 930825 1993
- Hatano K. lida K. Higashi H. Murata S. “Development of a New Multi-Mode Variable Valve Timing Engine” SAE Paper No. 930878 1993
- Theobald M. Lequesne B. Henry R. “Control of Engine Load via Electromagnetic Valve Actuators” SAE Paper No. 940816 1994