This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ODECS - A Computer Code for the Optimal Design of S.I. Engine Control Strategies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The computer code ODECS (Optimal Design of Engine Control Strategies) for the design of Spark Ignition engine control strategies is presented. This code has been developed starting from the author's activity in this field, availing of some original contributions about engine stochastic optimization and dynamical models.
This code has a modular structure and is composed of a user interface for the definition, the execution and the analysis of different computations performed with 4 independent modules. These modules allow the following calculations: (i) definition of the engine mathematical model from steady-state experimental data; (ii) engine cycle test trajectory corresponding, to a vehicle transient simulation test such as ECE15 or FTP drive test schedule; (iii) evaluation of the optimal engine control maps with a steady-state approach. (iv) engine dynamic cycle simulation and optimization of static control maps and/or dynamic compensation strategies, taking into account dynamical effects due to the unsteady fluxes of air and fuel and the influences of combustion chamber wall thermal inertia on fuel consumption and emissions. Moreover, in the last two modules it is possible to account for errors generated by a non deterministic behaviour of sensors and actuators and the related influences on global engine performances. and compute robust strategies, less sensitive to stochastic effects.
The computer tool ODECS. which is now being used by a major European automotive company, is particularly suitable for theoretical studies on the development of new engine control strategies for the reduction of air-fuel ratio excursions and of emission levels during transient manoeuvre. In an industrial environment the main applications are related to design analysis for the definition of both engine optimal control maps and control system strategies during transients.
The submodels used have been validated through experimental analysis on dynamic test bench, and the results have been presented in previous papers. Further experimental activity is undergoing in order to fully validate the whole code.
In the paper the four models are described together with significant results corresponding to the simulation and the calculation of optimal control strategies for dynamic transient tests.
|Technical Paper||A Non–Contacting Torque Sensor for the Internal Combustion Engine|
|Technical Paper||Simulation and Evaluation of Exhaust and Intake System of a Four-Stroke Spark Ignition Engine|
|Journal Article||Control-Oriented Knock Simulation|
CitationArsie, I., De Franceschi, F., Pianese, C., and Rizzo, G., "ODECS - A Computer Code for the Optimal Design of S.I. Engine Control Strategies," SAE Technical Paper 960359, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960359.
- Heywood J.B. 1988 Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals MC Graw Hill
- Ramos J. I. 1989 Internal Combustion Engine Modeling Hemisphere Publishing Corporation
- Bozza F. Gambino M. Iannaccone S. Rizzo G. 1991 Validation of a Combustion Model for Spark Ignition Engines with Oxygenated Fuels Proc. of XI International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels November 1991 Firenze
- Gambino G. Pianese C. Rizzo G. 1994 Experimental and Computational Analysis of a Dynamic Mode lfor Control Strategy Optimization in a Spark Ignition Engine Proc. of American Control Conference June 29th July 1st 1994 Baltimore, MD 3 2374 2378
- Gambino G. Pianese C. Rizzo G. 1994 Identification of a Dynamic Model for Transient Mixture Formation in a Multi-Point Spark Ignition Engine Proc. of Fourth ASME Symp. on Transportation System - Winter Annual Meeting November 6-11 1994 Chicago, IL
- Press W.H. Flonnery B.P. Teukolsky S.A. Wetterling W.T. 1986 Numerical Recipes: the Art of Scientific Computing Cambridge University Press
- Rizzo G. Gambino M. 1988 A Model for the Stochastic Optimization of Engine Fuel Consumption and Emissions Proc. of 18th ISATA Symp. May 1988 Firenze
- Rizzo G. 1984 L'ottimizzazione di Consumi ed Emissioni per Motore AR 2000 CEM October 1987 712 731 (in italian)
- Kormanski H. Rudzinska K. 1994 Modelling and Problem Formulation to Minimize Fuel Consumption ad Emission in Cars Quaderni del Dipartimento di Matematica, Statistica, Informatica e Applicazioni, Università di Bergamo
- Rizzo G. Pianese C. 1989 Optimization of Spark ignition Engines with Stochastic Effects in Sensors and Actuators ASME Symposium on Engine Design, Operation and Control using Computer Systems October 15-18 1989 Dearborn, MI 9 139 150
- Rizzo G. Pianese C. 1991 A Stochastic Approach for the Optimization of Open-Loop Engine Control Systems Annals of Operations Research N. 31 545 568
- Abaffy J. Rudzinska K. Spedicato E. Vespucci T. 1987 Modeling and Optimizing Fuel Consumption and Pollutant Emissions in a Car Quaderni del Dipartimento di Matematica, Statistica e Informatica, Universita di Bergamo
- Gill P.H. Murray W. Wright M.H. 1984 Practical Optimization Academic Press London
- Rizzo G. 1990 A Method for the Optimal Design of Engine Control Systems with Electronic Control SYstems with Economic Constraints October 3-5 1990 69 85
- Hendricks E. Sorenson S.C. 1991 SI Engine Controls and Mean Value Engine Modelling SAE Paper 910258
- Siviero C. Scattolini R. Gelmetti A. Poggio L. Serra G. 1995 Analysis and Validation of Mean Value Models for SI IC Engines First IFAC Workshop on Advanced Automotive Control March 13-17 1995 Monte Verità, Ascona
- Gambino M. Pianese C. Rizzo G. 1994 Experimental Validation of a Dynamic Model for Mixture Formation in a Multi-Point Injection SI Engine Proc. of 2nd A.S.M.E. Conference on Engineering System Design and Analysis London. UK July 4-7 1994 64-8.2 489 502
- Pianese C. Rizzo G. 1992 Fluid-Dynamic and Thermal Effects on Transient Performance and Emissions of a Spark Ignition Engine with Electronic Control Proc.del 25th ISATA Symposium June 1-5 1992 Firenze
- Aquino C.F. 1981 Transient A/F Control Characteristics of the 5 Liter Central Fuel Injection Engine SAE Paper 810494
- Benninger N.F. Plapp G. 1991 Requirements and Performance of Engine Management Systems Under Transient Conditions SAE Paper 910083
- Matthews R.D. Dongre SK Beaman J.J. 1991 Intake and ECM Sub-model Improvements for Dynamic SI Engine Models: Examination of Tip-InTip-Out SAE Paper 910074
- Arsie A. De Franceschi F Gambino M. Pianese C. Rizzo G. 1995 Valutazione Sperimentale dei Parametri Caratteristici del Processo di Formazione della Miscela in un Motore ad Accensione Comandata Multi-Point Mis-Mac IV November 24 1995 121 139
- Myers J.P. Alkidas A.C. 1978 Effects of Combustion Chamber Surface Temperature on the Exhaust Emissions of a Single-Cylinder Spark Ignition Engine SAE Paper 780642
- Pianese C. Rizzo G. 1992 A Dynamic Model for Control Strategy Optimization, in Spark Ignition Engines Proc. of Third ASME Symposium on Transportation System Anaheim, CA November 9- 13 1992 44 253 267
- Pianese C. Rizzo G. 1995 Sviluppo di Tecniche di Experimental Design Sequenziale per I'Ottimizzazione Interattiva dei Piani Sperimentali di Motori a Combustione Interna 50° Congresso Nazionale ATI September 10-15 1995