This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On-Line Nugget Expulsion Detection for Aluminium Spot Welding and Weldbonding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nugget expulsion during resistance spot welding and weldbonding has a detrimental effect on weld nugget integrity and adhesive bond line. This study has concentrated on the detection of expulsion from electrical signals because these are easily accessible on-line. A variety of expulsion events has been studied for which a number of detection methods have been developed.
A prototype on-line expulsion monitoring system has been developed based on these techniques. The system does not require the measurement of electrode displacement or acceleration. Laboratory experiments have shown that the system can reliably detect expulsions under a wide range of conditions. The techniques developed provide a practicable method for industry application.
CitationHao, M., Osman, K., Boomer, D., Newton, C. et al., "On-Line Nugget Expulsion Detection for Aluminium Spot Welding and Weldbonding," SAE Technical Paper 960172, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960172.
SAE 1996 Transactions - Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V105-5 ; Published: 1997-09-15
Number: V105-5 ; Published: 1997-09-15
- Warren A S, “The future for increased use of aluminium in cars”. Aluminium 67(11) 1078-1080, 1991
- Newton C J, Browne D J, Thornton M C, Keay B F P, Boomer D R, “The fundamentals of resistance spot welding aluminium”. Proceedings of the Sheet Metal Welding Conference VI, American Welding Society (Detroit Section), Detroit, USA, 1994.
- Keay B F P, “Welding of Aluminium for Automotive Body Assembly”. Proceedings of the Sheet Metal Welding Conference V, American Welding Society (Detroit Section), Detroit, USA, 1992.
- Wheeler M J, Sheasby P G, Kewley D, “Aluminium Structured Vehicle Technology - A Comprehensive Approach to Vehicle Design and Manufacturing in Aluminium”. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 870146, 1987.
- Handley S, Wallett C, Osman K A, “Trends in the resistance spot welding of aluminium and aluminium alloys”. Research report, City of Birmingham Polytechnic, UK, 1988.
- Browne D J, Newton C J, Boomer D R, “Optimisation and validation of a model to predict the spot weldability parameter lobs for aluminium automotive body sheets”. Proceedings of the International Body Engineering Conference, Vol. 19 p100-106, Detroit, USA, October 1995.
- Wu K C, “The mechanism of expulsion in weldbonding of anodised aluminium”. Welding Journal, 56(8) 283-s-244-s, 1977.
- Sauer J, “Spot weldbonding of motorbody sheets made of steel and aluminium”. Doctorate thesis, The Rhein-Westphallan Technical College, Germany, 1980.
- Kaiser J G, Dunn G J, Eager T W, “Effect of electrical resistance on nugget formation during spot welding”. Welding Journal, 71(6) 167-s-174-s, 1992.
- Vahaviolos S J, Carlos M F, Slykhouse S J, “Adaptive spot-weld feedback control loop via acoustic emission”. Materials Evaluation, 39(10) 1057-1060,1981.
- Havens J R, “Controlling spot welding quality and expulsion”. SME Technical Report, AD76-279, 1976.
- Tsai C L, Dai W L, Dickinson D W, “Experimental study of weld nugget expansion - contraction behaviour of resistance spot welding”. Proceedings of the Sheet Metal Welding Conference V, American Welding Society (Detroit Section), Detroit, USA, 1992.
- Hao M, Osman K A, Boomer D R, Newton C J, “Developments in characterisation of resistance spot welding of aluminium”. Presented at the American Welding Society 75th Annual Convention, Philadelphia, USA 1994. (Also due to be published in the Welding Journal, January 1996, 1s-7s)
- Hao M, Osman K A, Holden N J, Boomer D R, Newton C J, “A data acquisition and signal processing system for aluminium spot welding”. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Sheet Metal, UCE, Birmingham, UK, 1995.
- Hao M, Osman K A, Boomer D R, Newton C J, Nardini D, Brown D J. “A comparative study of lap-shear and U-tension testing of aluminium spot welded joints” To be presented at the Sheet Metal Welding Conference VII, American Welding Society (Detroit Section), Detroit, USA, October 1996.
- Hao M, Osman K A, Newton C J, Thornton M C, Sheasby P G, “Monitoring electrode wear and weld size variation for aluminium spot welding”. To be presented at the American Welding Society 77th Annual Convention, Chicago, USA, 1996