This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Status and Development of Biodiesel Production and Projects in Europe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel is a new fuel as a renewable form of liquid energy which can be used directly in existing and unmodified Diesel-engines. It is produced from virgin plant oils, but also from spent oils of plant or animal origin. The first Biodiesel fuel specification was developed in Austria and positive engine test results led to acceptance in numerous engine. Emission tests showed substantial reductions of exhaust emissions affecting global and local air pollution. Further environmentally friendly properties are low toxicity and fast biodegradability. With a favorable energy balance in the range of 1:3 Biodiesel is an attractive renewable energy form. The economical feasibility was improved by utilizing cheap raw materials like used frying oils and by reducing process cost. It is supported by political measures like detaxations in most European countries or like the Clean Air Act in the USA thus internalizing the various benefits into the fuel price. A review of the current status of Biodiesel projects and production in Europe and in North America is given.
CitationKorbitz, W., "Status and Development of Biodiesel Production and Projects in Europe," SAE Technical Paper 952768, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952768.
- WÖrgetter, M. 1991 Pilotproiekt “Biodiesel” / Research Reports of the Institute for Agricultural Engineering . Wieselburg, Austria
- Batel, W. 1980 Grundlaaen Landtechnik 30 1980
- Schütt, H. 1982 Fettalkohole, 13 49 Düsseldorf, Germany
- Mittelbach, M. 1991 Methods for the Transesterification of Vegetable Oils Proceedings AVL-List Conference Engine and Environment 1991 University Graz, Institute for Organic Chemistry Austria
- FICHTE 1994 Handbook of Analytical Methods for Fatty Acid Methyl Esters Used as Diesel Fuel Substitutes . FICHTE 1 Technical University Vienna Vienna, Austria
- Walter, Th. 1992 Proceedings of the Symposium “RME” - Kraftstoff und Rohstoff , 83 100 FICHTE / Technical University Vienna Austria
- Machold, W. Dobbins, P.J. 1991 Effect of Biodiesel on motor-oils in Diesel-engines/ Castrol Pilotproiekt “BioDiesel” / Research Reports of the Institute for Agricultural Engineering . Wieselburg, Austria
- Scharmer, K. Golbs, G. Muschalek, I. 1993 Bericht für die UFOP. Bonn, Germany
- Wurst, F. Boos, R. Prey, Th. Scheidl, K. Worgetter, M. 1991 Pilotproiekt “Biodiesel” / II.Teil / Research Reports of the Institute for Agricultural Engineering . Wieselburg, Austria
- KÖrbitz, W. 1994 The Technical, Energy and Environmental Properties of Biodiesel Proceedinas Bio-Oils Symposium , March 1994 Saskatchewan Canola Development Commission Saskatoon, Canada