This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Catalytic Partial Oxidation Ethanol Reformer for Fuel Cell Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Arthur D. Little in conjunction with the Department of Energy and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs are developing an ethanol fuel processor for fuel cell vehicles. Initial studies were carried out on a 25 kWe catalytic partial oxidation (POX) reformer to determine the effect of equivalence ratio, steam to carbon ratio, and residence time on ethanol conversion.
Results of the POX experiments show near equilibrium yields of hydrogen and carbon monoxide for an equivalence ratio of 3.0 with a fuel processor efficiency of 80%. The size and weight of the prototype reformer yield power densities of 1.44 l/kW and 1.74 kg/kW at an estimated cost of $20/kW.
|Technical Paper||Fuel Cells and Ethanol: a Technological Advantage|
|Technical Paper||Advances in Fuel Processing Systems for Transportation|
CitationMitchell, W., Thijssen, J., Bentley, J., and Marek, N., "Development of a Catalytic Partial Oxidation Ethanol Reformer for Fuel Cell Applications," SAE Technical Paper 952761, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952761.
- Marek, N.J. Lawler, G.W. “Application of the Alcohol Fuels Credit to Ethanol-Based Alternative Transportation Fuels” Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs Springfield, IL 1994
- Marek, N.J. “Application of the Alcohol Fuels Credit to Hydrated Ethanol Transportation Fuels” Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs
- Minet, R.G. Olesen, O. “Technical and Economic Advances in Steam Reforming of Hydrocarbons” American Chemical Society 1980
- Houseman, C. Cerini, D.J. “Onboard Hydrogen Generation for Automobiles” The Eleventh Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 1976
- Flyntzani-Stephanopoulos, M. Voecks, G.E. “Conversion of Hydrocarbons for Fuel Cell Applications” JPL Publication Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 1981
- Christensen, T.S. Primdahl, I.I. “Improve Syngas Production Using Autothermal Reforming” Hydrocarbon Processing 39 46 March 1994
- Houseman, J. Cerini, D.J. “On-Board Hydrogen Generator for a Partial Hydrogen Injection Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Paper # 740600 The Society of Automotive Engineers 1974
- “Multi-Fuel Reformers for Fuel Cells Used in Transportation” Arthur D. Little, Inc. Cambridge, MA 1994
- Bittner, J.D. Howard, J.B. Particulate Carbon Formation During Combustion Siegla, D.C. Smith, George W. 109 142 Plenum Publishing Corporation 1981
- Bittner, J.D. Howard, J.B. Soot in Combustion Systems and its Toxic Properties Lahaye, J. Prado, G. 95 125 Plenum Publishing Corporation Obernai, France 1983
- Bockhorn, H. Fetting, F. Wenz, H.W. Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 87 1067 1073 1983
- Frenklach, M. Wang, Hai. Twenty-Third Symposium (International) on Combustion 1559 1566 The Combustion Institute 1990
- Stein, S.E. Fahr, A. J. Phys. Chem. 89 3714 3725 1985
- Thijssen, J.H.J. Toqan, M.A. Sarofim, A.F. Beér, J.M. The Twenty-Fifth International Symposium on Combustion The Combustion Institute Irvine, CA, USA 1994