This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biofidelity and Injury Assessment in Eurosid I and Biosid
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Side impact pendulum tests were conducted on Eurosid I and Biosid to assess the biofidelity of the thorax, abdomen and pelvis, and determine injury tolerance levels. Each body region was impacted at 4.5, 6.7, and 9.4 m/s using test conditions which duplicate cadaver impacts with a 15 cm flat-circular 23.4 kg rigid mass. The cadaver database establishes human response and injury risk assessment in side impact.
Both dummies showed better biofidelity when compared to the lowest-speed cadaver response corridor. At higher speeds, peak force was substantially higher. The average peak contact force was 1.56 times greater in Biosid and 2.19 times greater in Eurosid 1 than the average cadaver response. The Eurosid I abdomen had the most dissimilar response and lacks biofidelity. Overall, Biosid has better biofidelity than Eurosid I with an average 21% lower peak load and a closer match to the duration of cadaver impact responses for the three body regions.
There was a significant correlation between cadaver and dummy responses in similar tests; so, within the limitations discussed, injury risk can be assessed in the dummies. Eurosid I chest deflection was not sufficient to prevent bottoming in high-speed tests. However, peak VC occurs before rib bottoming and enables chest injury assessment for all of the pendulum impacts.
Based on a 50% risk of AIS 3+ chest injury in a 45 year old cadaver, Eurosid I tolerances are D = 52 mm and VC = 1.17 m/s. For pelvic fracture, the tolerances are F pubic 7.1 kN and GS3-Y = 100 g. Based on a 25% risk of AIS 4+ chest injury, Biosid tolerances are D = 64 mm and VC = 1.37 m/s. For pelvic fracture, Fpubic = 3.6 kN and GS3-Y = 100 g. The research establishes a technical basis for injury tolerance levels in Eurosid I and Biosid.
CitationViano, D., Fan, A., Ueno, K., Walilko, T. et al., "Biofidelity and Injury Assessment in Eurosid I and Biosid," SAE Technical Paper 952731, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952731.
- Bendjellal, F. Fuld, E. Hautmann, E. Koch, M. Marks, H. Pastorino, A. “Eurosid I and Biosid lmpact Response Characteristics vs. IS0 Biofidelity Requirements.” 13th ESV Conference, SAE 916114 1991
- Bendjellal, F. Tarrière, C. Brun-Cassan, F. Foret-Bruno, J-Y. Caillibot, P. Gillet, D. “Comparative Evaluation of the Biofidelity of Eurosid and SID Side Impact Dummies” SAE 881717 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1988
- Harigae, T. Ohsaki, K. Ohmae, H. Okamoto, T. Hayashida, M. “Evaluation of Impact Responses of Eurosid-I and Biosid.” 13th ESV Conference, SAE 916110 1991
- Irwin, A.L. Pricopio, L.A. Mertz, H.J. Balser, J.S. Chkoreff, W.M. “Comparison of the Eurosid and SID Impact Responses to the Response Corridors of the International Standards Organization.” SAE 890604 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1989
- “Thorax Injury Probability Estimation Using Production Prototype Eurosid.”
- Janssen, E.G. Vermissen, A.C.M. “Biofidelity of the European Side Impact Dummy-Eurosid.” SAE 881716 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1988
- Kallieris, D. Mattern, R. Mclntosh, A. Boggasch, F. “The Biofidelity of Eurosid I and Biosid.” 36th Stapp Conference, SAE 922518 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1992
- Kanianthra, J.N. Willke, D.T. Gabler, H.C. Zuby, D.S. “Comparative Performance of SID, Biosid, and Eurosid in Lateral, Pendulum, Sled, and Car Impacts.” 13th ESV Conference, SAE 916076 1991
- Lowne, R.W. Wall, J.G. “A Procedure for Estimating lnjury Tolerance Levels for Car Occupants.” 20th Stapp Conference, SAE 760820 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1976
- Marcus, J.H. et al. “Human Response to and Injury from Lateral Impact.” 27th Stapp Conference, SAE 831634 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1983
- Mertz, H.J. “A Procedure for Normalizing Impact Response Data.” SAE 840884 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA May 1984
- Mertz, H.J. “Anthropomorphic Test Devices.” Nahum, A.M. Melvin, J.W. Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Prevention 66 84 1993
- Roberts, A.K. Beusenberg, M. Cesari, D. Glaeser, K-P. “The Biofidelity of the Production Version of the European Side Impact Dummy ‘Eurosid-l’.” 13th ESV Conference, SAE 916111 1991
- Viano, D.C. Lau, I.V. Asbury, C. “Biomechanics of the Human Chest, Abdomen, and Pelvis in Lateral Impact.” Accident Analysis & Prevention 21 6 553 574 1989
- Viano, D.C. “Biomechanical Responses and Injuries in Blunt Lateral Impact.” 33rd Stapp Conference, SAE 892432 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1989