This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Biomechanical Face for the Hybrid III Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biomechanical data on the response of the face to localized and distributed loads are analyzed to provide performance goals for a biomechanically realistic face. Previously proposed facial injury assessment techniques and dummy modifications are reviewed with emphasis on their biomechanical realism. A modification to the Hybrid III dummy, called the GM Hybrid III Deformable Face, is described. The modification produces biomechanically realistic frontal impact response for both localized and distributed facial loads and provides for contact force determination using conventional Hybrid III instrumentation. The modification retains the anthropometric and inertial properties and the forehead impact response of the standard Hybrid III head.
|Technical Paper||Unicycle Dynamics and Stability|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Sulky Dynamics: Implications in Harness Racing|
|Technical Paper||Relative Risk to Car and Light Truck Occupants|
CitationMelvin, J., Little, W., Smrcka, J., Zhu, Y. et al., "A Biomechanical Face for the Hybrid III Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 952715, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952715.
SAE 1995 Transactions: Journal of Passenger Cars
Number: V104-6; Published: 1996-09-01
Number: V104-6; Published: 1996-09-01
- Allsop, D.Y. Warner, C.Y. Wille, M.G. Schneider, D.C. Nahum, A.M. 1988 Facial Impact Response - A Comparison of the Hybrid III Dummy and Human Cadaver Proceedings of the 32nd Stapp Car Crash Conference 139 155 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Brinn, J. 1969 Two Anthropomorphic Test Forms - The Frontal Bone of the Skull and a Typical Facial Bone Proceedings of the 13th Stapp Car Crash Conference 381 399 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Grosch, L. Katz, E. Kassing, L. 1987 New Measurement Methods to Assess the Improved Injury Protection of Airbag Systems SAE Paper No. 870333 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Hubbard, R.P. McLeod, D.G. 1974 Definition and Development of a Crash Dummy Head Proceedings of the 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference 599 628 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- McLeod, D.G. Gadd, C.W. 1973 An Anatomical Skull For Impact Testing Human Impact Response 153 177 King, W.F. Mertz, H.J. Plenum Press New York
- Melvin, J.W. King, A.I. Alem, N.M. 1985 AATD System Technical Characteristics, Design Concepts, and Trauma Assessment Criteria Task E-F Final Report 28 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC
- Melvin, J.W. Shee, T.R. 1989 Facial Injury Assessment Techniques Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 608 617 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C.
- Newman, J.A. Gallup, B.M. 1984 Biofidelity Improvements to the Hybrid III Headform Proceedings of the 28th Stapp Car Crash conference 87 99 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Nyquist, G.W. Cavanaugh, J.M. Goldberg, S.J. King, A.I. 1986 Facial Impact Tolerance and Response Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference 379 400 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Perl, T.R. Nilsson, S. Planath, l. Wille, M.G. 1989 Deformable Load Sensing Hybrid III Face Proceedings of the 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 29 42 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Petty, S.P.F. Fenn, M.A. 1985 A Modified Steering Wheel to Reduce Facial Injuries and Associated Test Procedure 10th International Technical Conference on Safety Vehicles National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C.
- Tarriere, C. Leung, Y.C. Fayon, A. Got, C. Patel, A. Banzet, P. 1981 Field Facial Injuries and Study of Their Simulation with Dummy Proceedings of the 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference 435 468 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Viano, D.C. Melvin, J.W. McCleary, J.D. Madeira, R.G. Shee, T.R. Horsch, J.D. 1986 Measurement of Head Dynamics and Facial Contact Forces in the Hybrid III Dummy Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference 269 289 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Warner, C.Y. Wille, M.G. Brown, S.R. Nilsson, N. Mellander, H. Koch, M. 1986 A Load Sensing Face Form for Automotive Collision Crash Dummy Instrumentation SAE Paper No. 860197 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa
- Zuby, D. 1987 Steering Assembly Induced Facial Injury ASME Paper No. 87WNSAF-3 The American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York