This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimisation of Driver-Side Airbag and Restraint System by Occupant Dynamics Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Devices for the protection of car occupants during car collisions are being continuously improved and developed. The motivations for this never ending activity are not only to meet the safety design rules and standards, but even more to satisfy the increasing demands of consumers and to meet new challenges of competitors to be counteracted.
This paper describes a numerical procedure for the optimisation of an existing restraint system including an OEM's airbag in front collisions. The solution process was systematically divided into four steps: 1) development of a computer model for the computer code MADYMO, 2) validation of the model by comparing the numerical and experimental results, 3) investigation of sensitivities of injury criteria to design changes, and 4) optimisation of the restraint system and airbag for minimum injury.
The results indicate that the OEM's driver-side airbag and the existing restraint system can be substantially improved. By optimising the airbag and the restraint system separately, the overall injury levels are reduced by 17% and 9% respectively. When the airbag and the restraint system are optimised together, a 33% reduction of overall injury level has been, achieved. It reveals that the airbag and the restraint system have to be tuned together to achieve the maximum safety performance.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Pregnant Occupant Position and Belt Placement on the Risk of Fetal Injury|
|Technical Paper||Side Impact Countermeasure Study Using A Hybrid Modeling Technique|
|Technical Paper||Design of Experiments in Occupant Simulation|
CitationHou, J., Tomas, J., and Sparke, L., "Optimisation of Driver-Side Airbag and Restraint System by Occupant Dynamics Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 952703, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952703.
- Bennet, J.A. Park, G.J. “Automotive Occupant Dynamics Optimisation” DE-Vol 32-1 Advances in Design Automation 1 ASME 1991
- Narwani, G. Subbian, T. “Optimisation of Passenger Airbags Using Occupant Simulation” SAE Paper 930240
- MADYMO3D User's Manual Version 5.0
- Fountain, M. “Restraint System Evaluation Using MADYMO” Research report for GMHA Jan 1993
- Gradinscak, Z. “Restraint System Evaluation Using MADYMO” Research report for GMHA Sept. 1993
- Hou, J.F. “Optimisation of Driver-side Airbag Restraint System” Research report for GMHA April 1994
- Fountain, M. Sparke, L. “Reduction of Injury Risk in Motor Vehicle Collisions by Restraint System Optimisation” 4th international MADYMO User's Meeting Sept. 1993
- Sayer, K. “Development of a New Australian Design Rule for Frontal Impact Protection” SAE Paper 933117
- Viano, D.C. Arepally, S. “Assessing the Safety Performance of Occupant Restraint Systems” SAE Paper 902328
- Hou J.F. Feng Z.D. “Orthogonal Grid Method for Optimisation of Structural Modal Frequencies” 8th IMAC Proceedings Feb. 1990 U.S.A.