This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High-Speed Photography and Image Analysis Techniques Applied to Study Droplet Motion within the Porting and Cylinder of a 4-Valve SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High-speed cine photography has been applied to an optically-accessed version of a modern 4-valve, pent-roof, si engine in order to observe the behaviour of fuel under cold starting and warm-up conditions.
A wall film was formed on the combustion chamber surface in the vicinity of the valves when fuel was supplied by pintle and disk-type injectors. This wall film survived combustion but was drawn into the exhaust system when the exhaust valves opened. The use of an air-blast atomiser avoided the formation of this wall film, but some wetting of the piston was apparent, as it was with the other types of injector.
CitationFry, M., Nightingale, C., and Richardson, S., "High-Speed Photography and Image Analysis Techniques Applied to Study Droplet Motion within the Porting and Cylinder of a 4-Valve SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 952525, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952525.
- Ma, T. Collings, N. Hands, T. Exhaust Gas Ignition (EGI) - A new concept for rapid light-off of automotive exhaust catalyst SAE paper 920400 1992
- Shin, Y. Cheng W.K. Heywood, J.B. Liquid gasoline behavior in the engine cylinder of a si engine SAE paper 941872 1994
- Fry, M.D. Nightingale, C.J.E. Use of high-speed photography to study in-cylinder mixture preparation on a four-valve si engine Institution of Mechanical Engineers Seminar on Measurement and Observation Analysis of Combustion in Engines IMechE Headquarters London, UK 22nd March 1994
- Fry, M.D. Optimization of mixture preparation in an si engine Department of Mechanical Engineering, University College London, UK 1994
- Williams, P. Beckwith, P. The effect of fuel composition and manifold conditions upon spray formation from an si engine pintle injector SAE paper 941865 1994