This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Particle Image Velocimetry Measurements in a High-Swirl Engine Used for Evaluation of Computational Fluid Dynamics Calculations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two-dimensional in-cylinder velocity distributions measured with Particle Image Velocimetry were compared with computed results from Computational Fluid Dynamics codes. A high-swirl, two-valve, four-stroke transparent-combustion-chamber research engine was used. Comparisons were made of mean-flow velocity distributions, swirl-ratio evolution during the intake and compression strokes, and turbulence distributions at top-dead-center compression. This comparison with the measured flows led to more accurate calculations by identifying code improvements including swirl in the residual gas, modeling of the gas exchange during the valve overlap, and improved numerical accuracy.
CitationReuss, D., Kuo, T., Khalighi, B., Haworth, D. et al., "Particle Image Velocimetry Measurements in a High-Swirl Engine Used for Evaluation of Computational Fluid Dynamics Calculations," SAE Technical Paper 952381, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952381.
- Kuo, T-W Reuss, D. L. “Multidimensional Port-and-Cylinder Flow Calculations for The Transparent-Combustion-Chamber Engine” Proceedings of ASME 1995 Spring Engine Technology Conference Engine Modeling ICE 23 19 29
- Khalighi, B. Haworth, D. C. Huebler, M. S. “Multidimensional Port-and-Cylinder Flow Calculations and Flow Visualization Study in an Internal Combustion Engine with Different Intake Configurations” SAE Paper 941871 1994
- Kudou, H. Kouno, S. Matsuoka, T. “LDV Measurement of In-Cylinder Flow Field Including Vertical Vortex - Quantitative Estimate of Flow Characteristics, and Influence of Intake Pressure” JSAE Rev. 12 1 12 1991
- Reuss, D. L. “Two-Dimensional Particle Image Velocimetry with Electrooptical Image Shifting in an Internal Combustion Engine” proceedings of The International Society for Optical Engineering, Optical Diagnostics in Fluid and Thermal Flows 2005 1993
- Reuss, D. L. Adrian, R. J. Landreth, C. C. French, D. T. Fansler, T. D. “Instantaneous Planar Measurements of Velocity and Large-Scale Vorticity and Strain Rate in an Engine Using Particle Image Velocimetry,” SAE Paper 890616 1989
- Fansler, T.D. French, D.T. “Cycle Resolved Laser-Velocimetry Measurements in a Reentrant Bowl-Piston Engine SAE Paper 880377 1988
- Rask, R. B. “Laser Doppler Anemometer Measurements of Mean Velocity and Turbulence in Internal Combustion Engines” In Intl. Conf. on Applics. of Lasers and Electro-Optics Boston Nov. 12-15 1984
- Kuo, T-W “Multidimensional Port-and-Cylinder Gas Flow, Fuel-Spray, and Combustion Calculations for a Port-Fuel-Injection Engine,” SAE Trans. 102 paper No. 920515 1992
- Haworth, D. C. El Tahry, S. H. Hubler, M.S. Chang, S. “Multidimensional Port-and Cylinder Flow Calculations for Two-and Four-Valve-per-Cylinder Engines: Influence of Intake Configuration on Flow Structure,” SAE Trans. 100 Paper No. 900257 1990
- El Tahry, S. H. “K - ε Equations for Compressible Reciprocating Engine Flows,” J. Energy 7 345 1983
- Rutland, C. J. Pieper, C. M. Hessel, R. “Intake and Cylinder Flow Modeling with a Dual-Valve Port” SAE Paper 930069 1993
- Arcoumanis, C. Hu, Z Vafidis, C. Whitelaw, J.H. “Tumbling Motion: A Mechanism for Turbulence Enhancement in Spark-ignition Engines” SAE Trans. 100 Paper No. 900060 1990
- Hall, M.J. Bracco, F. V. “A study of Velocities and Turbulence Intensities Measured in Firing and Motored Engines” Paper No. 870453 1987
- Witze, P. O. “Influence of Air Motion Variation on the Performance of a Direct Injection Stratified Charge Engine” IMechE Conference Proceedings Paper No. 3