This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Exhaust Emissions Evaluation of a Cummins L10E When Fueled with a Biodiesel Blend
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel, the mono alkyl ester of long chain fatty acids derived from renewable lipid resources was evaluated for use as a blending agent with heavy alkylates and low sulfur petroleum diesel fuel. The engine selected for testing was a 1992 L10E Cummins diesel engine. The regulated EPA exhaust emissions of the engine were evaluated before and after retarding the injection timing of the engine by 3°. EPA exhaust emissions were also evaluated after increasing the concentration of biodiesel and heavy alkylate while reducing the low sulfur diesel fuel used when fueling the engine. In general, the engine performed well and power changed very little during the testing. All EPA regulated exhaust emissions were reduced below that observed when fueling with baseline low sulfur diesel fuel as a result of timing changes and/or fueling with heavy alkylate blends.
|Ground Vehicle Standard
|Tamper Resistance for Adjustable Parameters on Diesel Fuel Injection Pumps
|Effect of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) on Particulate Filters of Diesel Cars
|EPA HDEWG Program - Test Fuel Development
CitationMarshall, W., Schumacher, L., and Howell, S., "Engine Exhaust Emissions Evaluation of a Cummins L10E When Fueled with a Biodiesel Blend," SAE Technical Paper 952363, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952363.
- Morris, D. 1993 How Much Energy Does it take to Make a Gallon of Soydiesel? The Institute for Local Self-Reliance Washington, D.C.
- Borgelt, S.C. Kolb T. Schumacher L.G. 1994 Biodiesel: World Status Proceedings of Liquid Fuels, Lubricants, and Additives from Biomass 67 76 St Joseph, MI ASAE
- Callahan, T.J. 1993 Evaluation of Methyl Soyate/Diesel Fuel Blends as a Fuel for Diesel Engines Final Report Prepared for the American BioFuels Association by Southwest Research Institute Jefferson City, MO National Biodiesel Board
- Grabowski, M. 1994 Emissions from Biodiesel Blends and Neat Biodiesel From a 1991 Model Series 60 Engine Operating at High Altitude Final Report Prepared for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory by the Colorado Institute for Fuels and High Altitude Engine Research Jefferson City, MO National Biodiesel Board
- Schumacher, L.G. Borgelt S.C. Hires W.G. 1992 Fueling a Diesel Engine With Methyl Ester Soybean Oil Proceedings of an Alternative Energy Conference Nashville, TN ASAE
- Schumacher, L.G. 1995 Biodiesel Emissions Data from Series 60 DDC Engines 1995 American Public Transit Association Bus Operations and Technology Conference Reno, NV
- Sharp, C.A. 1994 Transient Emissions Testing of Biodiesel and Other Additives in a DDC Series 60 Engine Final Report Prepared for the National Biodiesel Board by Southwest Research Institute Jefferson City, MO National Biodiesel Board