This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Automatic Transmission Fluid for Slip-Controlled Lock-Up Clutch Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Slip-controlled lock-up clutch systems are very efficient and greatly improve fuel economy. On the other hand, these systems can cause unstable vibrations including those known as “shudder vibrations”.
In this study, the authors made a theoretical analysis of these unstable vibrations to clarify the fundamental frictional properties of automatic transmission fluids (ATFs) required for slip-controlled lock-up clutch systems.
Based on this analysis, we established lubricant technology having a sufficient anti-shudder property and high torque capacity. Further, we developed a new test apparatus to evaluate the anti-shudder durability for lubricant development.
CitationKugimiya, T., Mitsui, J., Yoshimura, N., Kaneko, H. et al., "Development of Automatic Transmission Fluid for Slip-Controlled Lock-Up Clutch Systems," SAE Technical Paper 952348, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952348.
- Kono K. Itoh H. Nakamura S. Yoshizawa K. Osawa M. “Torque Converter Clutch Slip Control System” SAE Paper 950672
- Hiramatsu T. Naruse T. “The Tribology of Improvement in Transmission Efficiency” Proceedings of JSAE Symposium 17 1991
- Hiramatsu T Akagi T. Yoneda H. “Control Technology of minimal Slip-Type Torque Converter Clutch” SAE Paper 850460
- Ashikawa R. Matsuoka T. et al. “ATF Characteristics Required for the Latest Automatic Transmissions” SAE Paper 932849
- Ohtani H. Hartley R. J. Stinnett D. W. “Prediction of Anti-Shudder Properties of Automatic Transmission Fluids Using a Modified SAE No.2 Machine” SAE Paper 940821
- Kato Y. Shibayama N. Akasaka K. “Experimental Study on Lock-Up Shudder Mechanism of an Automatic Transmission” Journal of Japanese Society of Tribologists 39 12 1994 1067 1072
- Sawanobori K. et al. “Analysis for Unusual Vibration in Clutch Engaging” Proceedings of JSME Symposium in Yamanashi 503 1991
- Miyazaki M. Hoshino M. “Evaluation of Vibration-Preventive Properties of Lubricating Oils in Wet Friction Plates & Retention of Such Properties Using a Friction Tester” SAE Paper 881694