This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Two-Dimensional Oil Film Thickness Distribution Measuring System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A newly developed fluorescent diagnostic system can measure the oil film thickness distribution through two-dimensional images with high sensitivity and quick response. This system consists of a filtered Xe-flash lamp, a filtered charge-coupled-device video camera, a personal-computer-based signal analyzer and lubricating oil with the fluorescent dye added. We have installed the system in a single cylinder research engine and measured the oil film thickness distribution around the piston under various operating conditions. One example of the results is that an oil spout from a gap in the first compression ring, which agrees with the measured oil consumption rate of the engine, was clearly observed at high engine speed.
CitationInagaki, H., Saito, A., Murakami, M., and Konomi, T., "Development of Two-Dimensional Oil Film Thickness Distribution Measuring System," SAE Technical Paper 952346, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952346.
- Hill Stephen H. Newman Brian A. “Piston Ring Designs for Reduced Friction,” SAE Paper No. 841222 1984
- Wade W.R. et al. “Combustion, Friction and Fuel Tolerance Improvements for the IDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 840515 1984
- Saito K. et al. “Analysis of Oil Consumption by Observing Oil Behavior Around Piston Ring Using Glass Cylinder Engine,” SAE Paper No. 892107 1989
- Ford R.A.J. Foord C.A. “Laser-Based Fluorescence Techniques for Measuring Thin Liquid Films,” Ware 51 289 1978
- TING L.L. “Development of a Laser Fluorescence Technique for Measuring Piston Ring Oil Film Thicknesses,” Trans. of the ASME 102 165 1980
- Hoult D.P. et al. “Calibration of Laser Fluorescence Measurements of Lubricant Film Thickness In Engines,” SAE Paper No. 881587 1988
- Myers John E. et al. “Measurements of Oil Film Thickness and Liner Temperature at Top Ring Reversal in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 900813 1990
- Victor Wong W. Hault David P. “Experimental Survey of Lubricant Film Characteristics and Oil Consumption in a Small Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 910741 1991
- Richardson Dana E. Borman Gary L. “Using Fiber Optics and Laser Fluorescence for Measuring Thin Oil Films with Application to Engines,” SAE Paper No. 912388 1991
- Lux Jeffrey P. et al. “Lubricant Film Thickness Measurement in a Diesel Engine Piston Ring Zone,” Lubrication Engineering 47 5 353 1991
- Shaw Byron T. II et al. “Development of Engine Lubricant Film Thickness Diagnostics Using Fiber Optics and Laser Fluorescence,” SAE Paper No. 920651 1992
- Sanda S. et al. “Development of Scanning Laser-Induced-Fluorescence Method for Analyzing Piston Oil Film Behavior,” IMechE Paper C465/014/93 1993
- Furuhama S. Hiruma M. “Some Characteristics of Oil Consumption Measured by Hydrogen Fueled Engine,” ASLE Paper 34 12 665 675 1977
- Didot F.E. et al. “Volatility and Oil Consumption of SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil,” SAE Paper No. 872126 1987