This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Design, Development and Testing of a High Performance Turbocharger Centrifugal Compressor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 1995 SAE Brasil
This paper presents the aerodynamic/mechanical design, development and testing of a turbocharger centrifugal compressor designated the C100. The compressor was designed for application to a range of passenger car diesel engines of capacity 2.2 - 2.5 litres.
The main objective of the design was to supply a compressor which would meet the requirements of increased engine power and increased engine operating range. This must be achieved whilst improving the aerodynamic performance, reliability and durability of the compressor.
The aerodynamic analysis of the blade shape was undertaken using a streamline curvature computer program and a 3D Navier-Stokes computer program. The mechanical analysis of the wheel was undertaken using a finite element computer program. The development and testing of the compressor was undertaken on an automated gas stand.
The C100 has resulted in a production viable high performance centrifugal turbocharger compressor which can be used for passenger car diesel engines.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Compressor and Turbine Specific Speed on Turbocharger Efficiency and Engine Performance|
|Journal Article||Eliminating Engine Performance Degradation Over Time Through Compressor Redesign|
CitationStoddart, R., "The Design, Development and Testing of a High Performance Turbocharger Centrifugal Compressor," SAE Technical Paper 952285, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952285.
- Rodgers, C. Specific Speed and Efficiency of Centrifugal Impellers ASME-CP 1980 191 200
- Katsanis, T. Use of Arbitrary Quasi-Orthogonals for Calculating Flow Distribution in the Meridional Plane of a Turbomachine NASA TN D-2546
- Dallenbach, F. The aerodynamic Design and Performance of Centrifugal and Mixed Flow Compressors SAE 1961 3
- Dawes, W. N. Development of a 3D Navier-Stokes Solver for Application to all Types of Turbomachinery ASME 88-GT-70
- Krain, H. Hoffman, W. Verification of an Impeller Design by Laser Measurements and 3D Viscous Flow Calculations ASME 89-GT-159
- Langdon, P. J. et al The Computational Experiment Applied to Aerodynamic Design and Analysis of Turbomachinery SAE 1990