This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cavitation Erosion on Cylinder Liners
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 1995 SAE Brasil
Cavitation erosion on wet cylinder liners has been occurring for many years. However, the higher loads that have been applied to the engines in recent years are enhancing its effects.
The material removal during the cavitation occurrence can reduce the engine life considerably, as the liner can be perforated resulting in the mixture of the coolant fluid with the lubricant oil of the engine.
This paper discusses the most important points found in a bibliographical review about this subject creating a better theoretical basis for the development of new materials and designs of cylinder liners. The results of the development of a new test procedure to study the cavitation on cylinder liners are also presented, with the objective of reducing the duration and cost of tests in dynamometric benches.
|Technical Paper||Cavitation Damage of Diesel Engine Wet-Cylinder Liners|
|Technical Paper||Quantifying Parameters Relevant to Liner Cavitation on a Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||Cavitation Intensity Measurements for Internal Combustion Engines|
CitationDemarchi, V. and Windlin, F., "Cavitation Erosion on Cylinder Liners," SAE Technical Paper 952250, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952250.
- AFFENZELLER, J. SCHREIBER, E. JANISCH, H. Some Investigations about the Cavitation on Cylinder Liners of Diesel Engines ASME Paper nr. 80-DGP-27 New York The American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1980
- HOSNY, D.M. et al. A System Approach for the Assessment of Cavitation Corrosion Damage of Cylinder Liners in Internal Combustion Engines SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper nr. 930581 Warrendale SAE International 1993
- AFFENZELLER, J. SCHREIBER, E. JANISCH, H. 41 499 505 1980
- HUDGENS, R.D. et al. Refinement of the Vibratory Cavitation Erosion Test for the Screening of Diesel Cooling System Corrosion Inhibitors Engine Coolant Testing: State of the Art. ASTM STP 705 American Society for Testing and Materials 1980
- LOWE, A.S.H. An Analytical Technique for Assessing Cylinder Liner Cavitation Erosion SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper nr. 900134 Warrendale SAE International 1990
- GREEN, G.W. ENGELSTAD, R.L. A Technique for the Analysis of Cylinder Liner Vibrations and Cavitation SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper nr. 930582 Warrendale SAE International 1993
- YONEZAWA, T. KANDA, H. Analysis of Cavitation Erosion on Cylinder Liner and Cylinder Block SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper nr. 850401 Warrendale SAE International 1985
- OAKES, B.D. Cavitation Corrosion Engine Coolant Testing: State of the Art, ASTM STP 705 American Society for testing and Materials 1980
- ZHOU, Y. HAMMITT, F.G. Cavitation Damage of Diesel Engine Wet Cylinder Liners SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper nr. 900437 Warrendale SAE International 1990
- ZHOU, Y. HE, J. HAMMITT, F.G. Cavitation Erosion of Cast Iron Diesel Engine Liners Wear 76 329 335 1982
- ZHOU, Y. HE, J. HAMMITT. F.G. Cavitation Erosion of Diesel Engine Wet Cylinder Liners Wear 76 321 328 1982
- RETOLAZA, J. Further Developments in the Manufacture and Applications of Steel Chrome Plated Cylinder Liners with Special Reference to Cavitation and Erosion Problems on the Water Side SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper nr. 740315 New York SAE International 1974