This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nitrided Piston Ring Pack for Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 1995 SAE Brasil
Engine developments have led to higher mechanical and thermal loads on the components, at the same time that lower friction losses are also sought. Therefore, the development of better materials and of surface treatments has received great emphasis.
This paper presents the results of dynamometric engine tests with a proposed piston ring pack, composed of a gas nitrided steel top ring, a nitrided gray cast iron second ring and a normal production chrome plated oil ring. The proposed pack showed very low wear when applied to a medium duty diesel engine, besides being a cost-effective alternative to the conventional pack with moly coated and chrome plated (respectively in the top and second) rings.
The proposed pack also caused very low wear on the cylinder bore, specially near the TDC, where the bore wear is usually maximum.
|Technical Paper||Nitrited Steel Piston Rings for Internal Combustion Engines|
|Technical Paper||Development of Piston Pin Bushing Material for High Performance Engine|
|Technical Paper||New Ring Pack for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines|
CitationDemarchi, V. and Tomanik, E., "Nitrided Piston Ring Pack for Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 952249, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952249.
- Miyazaki, S. et al. “A Review of Ion Nitrided Piston Ring Surface Treatment Development and the Resultant Ability to Provide Improved Operating Capability” SAE paper 950936 1995
- Min, K. Cheng, W.K. Heywood, J.B. “The Effects of Crevices on the Engine-Out Hydrocarbon Emissions in SI Engines” SAE paper 940306 1994
- Demarchi, V. Vatavuk, J. “Nitrided Gray Cast Iron Piston Rings” SAE paper 942393 1994
- Tomanik, E. Demarchi, V. Vatavuk, J. “Nitrided Steel Piston Rings for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE paper 942394 1994
- Demarchi, V. “Influence of top ring lower peripheral edge chamfer on blow-by and oil consumption” Engine Design International 94 49 51 1994
- Tomanik, E. Silveira S. R.M. Zecchinelli, R. “Influence of Top Ring Gap Types at Blow-by of Internal Combustion Engines” SAE paper 931669 1993