This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Frequency Analysis Technique for Intake and Exhaust Manifold Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The configuration of intake and exhaust manifolds has a strong impact on the gas exchange process of reciprocating engines. To make the designer assess a large number of manifold configurations quickly, a frequency analysis technique is developed, which is based on one-dimensional wave action equations. The frequency spectra of gas pressure pulsation in manifolds with different cylinder number, different manifold layouts and different manifold parameters are calculated, and the effects of various parameters on the spectrum characteristics are studied. The relationship between predicted frequency spectrum and measured volumetric efficiency is investigated for engines with different cylinder number.
The experimental results for engines with different cylinder number show that this technique can be used to select the manifold parameters required in the initial stage of design and can save much CPU time compared to a siumlation program based on the method of characteristics.
|Technical Paper||A Design Strategy for Four Cylinder SI Automotive Engine Exhaust Systems|
|Technical Paper||Pre-design Criteria for Exhaust Manifolds in I.C. Automotive Engines|
|Technical Paper||Advancements in Exhaust Flow Measurement Technology|
CitationLi, J., Zhou, L., Jiang, D., and Pan, K., "Frequency Analysis Technique for Intake and Exhaust Manifold Design," SAE Technical Paper 952070, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952070.
- Benson R. S. “The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines” 1 Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Takizawa M. Und T. Yurn T. “A Study of Gas Exchang Process Simulation of an Automotive Multi-Cylinder Engine” SAE Paper 820410 1982
- Chapman M. Novak M. Stein R. A. “A Nonlinear Acoustic Model of Inlet and Exhaust Flow in Multi-Cylinder Internal Combustion Engines” ASME 83-WA/DSC- 14 1983
- Pearson R. J. Winterbone D. E. “A Rapid Wave Action Simulation Technique for Intake Manifold Design” SAE Paper 900767 1990
- Chen C. Y. Veshagh A. Wallace F. J. “ A Comparison Between Alternative Methods for Gas Flow and Performance Prediction of Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper 921734 1992
- Matsumoto I. Ohata A. “Variable Induction Systems to Improve Volumetric Efficiency at Low and/or Medium Engine Speeds” SAE Paper 860100 1986
- Morse P. M. “Vibration and Sound” McGraw-Hill 1948
- Binder R. C. “The Damping of Large Amplitude Vibrations of it Fluid in a Pipe” Jr. Acoustical Society of America 15 1943
- Ohata A. Ishida Y. “Dynamic Inlet Pressure and Volumetric Efficiency of Four Cycle Four Cylinder Engine” SAE Paper 820407 1982
- Desantes J. M. Boada F. Corberan J. M. “Exhaust Pipe Design Method for the Optimization of the Scavenging Process” SAE Paper 850083 1985
- Stone C. R. Etminan Y. “Review of Induction System Design and a Comparison Between Prediction and Results from a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 921727 1992