This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Particle Size Effect on Supercritical Water Oxidation- Wheat Straw Particles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For Supercritical Water Oxidation (SCWO), particle size is a key factor effecting requirements for feed preparation, slurry concentration and pumping, rate of reaction, and reactor size. To address these issues, an experimental research program was undertaken to evaluate the effect of particle size on the reaction kinetics in SCWO of solid particulates (wheat straw and cellulose particles in this case). The experiments also included evaluation of the effects of temperature, pressure, and agitation. Some corrosion data were obtained. A two-step reaction mechanism was revealed. Empirically based mathematical relationships were developed that can be used for SCWO system design.
CitationFisher, J., Pisharody, S., and Abraham, M., "Particle Size Effect on Supercritical Water Oxidation- Wheat Straw Particles," SAE Technical Paper 951739, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951739.
- Takahashi, Y., Wydeven T., and Koo C., “Subcritical and Supercritical Water Oxidation of CELSS Model Wastes,” Adv. Space Res., Vol. 9, No. 8, pp. 99-110, 1989.
- Fisher, J. W. and Abraham M., “Particle Size Effect on Supercritical Water Oxidation-Polystyrene Beads,” SAE Paper No. 941399, 24th International Conference on Environmental Systems and 5th European Symposium on Space Environmental Control Systems, Friedrichshafen, Germany, June 20-23, 1994.
- Bubenheim, D. L., Wignarajah K., and Wydeven T., “Incineration in a Controlled Ecological Life Support System: a Method for Resource Recovery from Inedible Biomass,” SAE Paper No. 93224, 1993.
- Aris, R., “On Shape Factors for Irregular Particles,” Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 6, pp. 262-268, 1957.
- Mitton, D. B., Orzalli J. C., and Latanision R. M., “Corrosion Phenomenon Associated with SCWO Systems,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Supercritical Fluids, Strasbourg, France, October 17-19, 1994.
- Webley, P. A. and Tester J. W., “Fundamental Kinetics and Mechanistic Pathways for Oxidation Reactions in Supercritical Water,” SAE Paper No. 881039, 18th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems, San Francisco, CA, July 11-13, 1988.
- Webley, P. A., Tester J. W., and Holgate H. R., “Oxidation Kinetics of Ammonia and Ammonia-Methanol Mixtures in Supercritical Water in the Temperature Range 530-700°C at 246 Bar,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., Vol.30, No.8, 1991.
- Hong, G. T. and Fowler P. Y., “Supercritical Water Oxidation of Urine and Feces,” Final Report for the NASA Contract NAS2-12176, 1987.