This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Jet Impingement Cooling in VSCF Generators
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A cooling technique is devised which will maintain the electronics within their thermal operating limits when the power output of currently used VSCFs is augmented to 65 kVA from 40 kVA. This study suggests that the use of jet impingement cooling selectively applied in regions of high heat flux will support the enhancement in performance desired. Experiments were run to determine the forced convective cooling of the current VSCF design. Experiments were then run to determine the submerged jet impingement cooling characteristics. Finally a FEA numerical model of the SCR module mounted on the tube flange with forced convection and jet impingement cooling was set up. The FE analysis indicates that at 65 kVA submerged jet impingement cooling will mitigate the temperatures of the SCRs sufficiently to maintain them within their operating envelope.
CitationPais, M., Chow, L., Knee, J., Bonneau, V. et al., "Jet Impingement Cooling in VSCF Generators," SAE Technical Paper 951451, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951451.
- Sehmbey, M.S. Pais, M.R. Chow 1991 “A Study of Diamond Laminated Surfaces in Evaporative Spray Cooling” Applications of Diamond Films and Related Materials, Material Sci. Monographs Elsevier Science Publishers 275 281
- Pais, M.R. Chow, L.C. Mahefkey, E.T. 1992 “Surface Roughness and its Effect on the Heat Transfer Mechanism in Spray Cooling” J. of Heat Transfer 114 211 219 February
- Sehmbey, M.S. Pais, M.R. Chow, L.C. 1992 “Effect of Surface Material Properties and Surface Characteristics in Evaporative Spray Cooling” J. of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 6 3 505 512 July
- Pais, M.R. Chow, L.C. Mahefkey, E.T. “Rotating Jet Evaporative Spray Cooling” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 1991
- Gu, C.B. Chow, L.C. Beam, J.E. 1990 “Flow Boiling in a Curved Channel” 119 25 32 ASME WAM San Francisco Dec. 1989
- Pais, M.R. Leland, J.E. Chang, W.S. Chow, L.C. 1993 “Jet impingement cooling using a jet fuel” 29th ASME/AIChE Natl. Heat Transfer Conf. Atlanta, GA
- Pais, M.R. Leland, J.E. Chang, W.S. Chow, L.C. 1994 “Single phase heat transfer characteristics of submerged jet impingement cooling using JP-5” 4th Intersociety Conference on Thermal Phenomena in Electronic Systems Washington, DC
- Chang, J.M. Tilford, T.A. Pais, M.R. Morgan, M. Chow, L.C. 1993 “Spray cooling of Tuna-Fish-Can size high performance electronic multi-chip modules” 29th ASME/AIChE Natl. Heat Transfer Conf. Atlanta, GA
- Tilton, D.E. Tilton, C.L. Pais, M.R. Morgan, M.J. 1992 “High flux spray cooling in a simulated multichip module” ASME 1992 Natl. Heat Transfer Conf. San Diego, CA
- Pais, M.R. Chang, M.J. Morgan, M.J. Chow, L.C. 1994 “Spray cooling of a high power laser diode” Paper # 941183 SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conf. Dayton, OH
- Sehmbey, M.S. Chow, L.C. Pais, M.R. Mahefkey, T. 1995 “High Heat Flux Spray Cooling of Electronics” 12th Symp. on Nuclear Power and Propulsion Albuquerque NM
- Pais, M.R. Chow, L.C. 1995 “Jet Impingement Cooling of Power Electronics in Leland VSCF Generators” Cudo Technologies, Ltd. Lexington, KY