This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applicability of the Experimental Statistical Energy Analysis to an Engine Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) method has been shown to be a powerful predictive tool of structural-acoustic design. However, there are many difficulties when the method is applied to an engine structure. It is because 1) the engine structure is so complicated that both the internal and coupling loss factors have to be determined in situ by measurements and 2) the general matrix inversion to calculate the loss factors, with the power injection method, can not simply be used as it produces many negative and unreliable results. The problems are attacked with several new approaches, which include using the equivalent mass, the selective geometric averaging, the consistency and reciprocity relationships, the back estimation technique and the coupling damping. Finally, an experimental validation is done. It shows that the obtained SEA model generally can predict the vibration tendency of the engine structure when damping and isolation treatments are applied. It is also concluded that the drive points should be selected in places as far as possible from the coupling lines and one or two drive points for each subsystem may be enough in engineering practice.
|Technical Paper||CONSIDERATIONS IN THE DESIGN OF SHOCK AND VIBRATION TESTS|
|Technical Paper||Computer Aided Torsional Vibration Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Sensitivity Analysis of Complex Eigensolutions for Brake Noise|
CitationWu, L. and Ågren, A., "Applicability of the Experimental Statistical Energy Analysis to an Engine Structure," SAE Technical Paper 951304, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951304.
- Bies D.A. and Hamid S. (1980) “In Situ Determination of Loss And Coupling Loss Factors by The Power Injection Method”, J. Sound Vibration, 70(2), 187-204
- Lalor N. (1989) “The Experimental Determination of Vibration Energy Balance in Complex Structures”, SPIE Vol. 1084 Stress and Vibration: Recent Developments in Industrial Measurement and Analysis
- Wu L., Ågren A. and Sundbäck U. (1994) “Determination of Loss Factors for Statistical Energy Analysis of a Diesel Engine with Geometric Average Approach”, ACTA ACUSTICA, 2(1994), 127-142
- Stimpson G. (1989) “Predicting Noise from Structures Using Energy Methods”, SPIE Vol. 1084 Stress and Vibration: Recent Developments in Industrial Measurement and Analysis, 315-322
- Clarkson B.L. (1986) “Experimental determination of modal density” in “Random Vibration-Status and Recent Developments”, Elishakoff I. and Lyon R.H. Eds.
- Lalor N. (1990) “Practical Considerations for the Measurement of Internal and Coupling Loss Factors on Complex Structures”, ISVR Technical Report No. 182, University of Southampton
- Lalor N. (1987) “The Measurement of S.E.A. Loss Factors on A fully Assembled Structure”, ISVR Technical Report No. 150, University of Southampton
- Hodges C.H., Nash P. and Woodhouse J. (1987) “Measurement of Coupling Loss Factors by Matrix Fitting: An Investigation of Numerical Procedures”, J. Appl. Acoust., 22, 47-69
- Fahy F.J. (1993) “Statistical Energy Analysis”, Course material, ISAAC4, International Seminar on Applied Acoustics, KULeuven, Belgium
- Hodges C.H. and Woodhouse J. (1986) “Theories of Noise and Vibration Transmission in Complex Structures”, Rep. Prog. Phys., 49, 107-170. Printed in Great Britain
- Hodges C.H. and Woodhouse J. (19891) “Confinement of Vibration by One-dimensional Disorder, I: Theory of Ensemble Averaging”, J. Sound Vibration, 130(2), 237-251
- Hodges C.H. and Woodhouse J. (19892) “Confinement of Vibration by One-dimensional Disorder, II: A Numerical Experiment on Different Ensemble Averages”, J. Sound Vibration, 130(2), 253-268 modal Subsystems”, J. Sound Vibration, 144(2), 185-196.
- Lalor N. (1990) “The Prediction noise and Reduction of Engine Noise”, Proc. of Nordic Acoustical Meeting, 15-26, Luleå University of Technology in Sweden.
- Lyon R.H. (1975) “Statistical Energy Analysis of Dynamical Systems: Theory and Applications”, USA: the MIT Press