This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Crankshaft Three-Dimensional Vibrations in a Rotating Coordinate System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To decrease the noise and vibration of an engine powerplant, the three-dimensional vibration behavior of the crankshaft system must be clarified precisely. However, the description of dynamic behavior in fixed coordinates would be extremely complex, since many time-variable parameters must be introduced in the equation of motion for the rotating crankshaft.
In this research, the vibration behavior of a rotating crankshaft system was analyzed by a rotating coordinate system attached to the crankshaft system: (1) by deriving the time-invariable characteristic matrices of multi-degrees of freedom for the crankshaft system, and (2) by calculating the forced vibration behavior of the crankshaft system under operating conditions.
To investigate the validity of this approach, we calculated the crankshaft vibration behavior under different operating conditions for the cases when different types of crank-pulleys were attached step by step to the crankshaft of a four-cylinder in-line diesel engine. These calculated results were compared with the experimental ones.
From the calculated and measured results, instructive knowledge could be obtained about the vibration behavior of the rotating crankshaft systems under operating conditions.
CitationMorita, T. and Okamura, H., "Analysis of Crankshaft Three-Dimensional Vibrations in a Rotating Coordinate System," SAE Technical Paper 951292, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951292.
- Martin, I. T. Low, B. Prediction of Crankshaft and Flywheel Dynamics I.Mech.E. Autotech 89 November 1989
- Priebsch, H. K Affenzeller, J. Kuipers, G. Structure Borne Noise Prediction Techniques SAE Paper 900019
- Okamura, H. Shinno, A. Yamanaka, T. Suzuki, A. and Sogabe, K. A Dynamic Stiffness Matrix Approach to the Analysis of Three-Dimensional Vibrations of Automobile Engine Crankshaft: Part 1 - Background and Application to Free Vibrations Proceedings of Vehicle Noise ASME 9 1990
- Morita, T. Okamura, H. A Dynamic Stiffness Matrix Approach to the Analysis of Three-Dimensional Vibrations of Automobile Engine Crankshaft: Part 2 - Application to Firing Conditions Proceedings of Vehicle Noise ASME 9 1990
- Okamura, H. Morita, T. I nfluence of Crankshaft-Pulley Dimensions on Crankshaft Vibrations and Engine-Structure Noise and Vibrations SAE Paper 931303
- Den Hartog, J. P. Mechanical Vibrations McGraw-Hill 1956 184 185
- Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Data book on the static and the dynamic characteristics of the journal bearings Japan Industrial Publication 1984