This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experiments and Computation of Crankshaft Three-Dimensional Vibrations and Bending Stresses in a Vee-Type Ten-Cylinder Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a heavy-duty engine with solid-structure crankshaft (in which all crank-throws are arranged radially in different planes), since a torsional deformation in one crank-throw can induce axial and bending deformations in other crank-throws, significant bending stresses can be induced at particular portions in the crankshaft by crankshaft torsional vibrations.
In this paper, the correlation between the crankshaft torsional vibrations and the dynamic bending stresses at the front and rear fillets of the No. 1 crank-pin under operating conditions were investigated for a Vee-type 10-cylinder diesel engine. The dynamic bending stresses at the front and rear fillet of the No. 1 crank-pin in the crank-throw plane, and the torsional vibrations at the front end of the crank-pulley, were simultaneously measured under firing conditions. The three-dimensional vibration behavior of the crankshaft was calculated by the dynamic stiffness matrix method.
From the experimental and calculated results, the following conclusions were deduced:
The maximum dynamic bending stresses at the fillets of the No. 1 crank-pin are caused by the bending vibration coupled with the torsional vibration, and the peaks of the bending stresses always appear at the resonant engine speed of the torsional vibrations.
The bending stress at the front fillet is strongly affected by the moments of inertia of the crankshaft front pulley about the axis orthogonal to the No. 1 crank-throw plane, whereas the stress at the rear fillet is affected very little by them.
|Technical Paper||Interior Sound Quality Refinement Base on Mechanism Study of Crankshaft Impact Noise|
|Technical Paper||Vibro-Acoustic Optimization of 3 Cylinder Diesel Engine Components for Lower Sound Radiation Using Finite Element Techniques|
CitationKimura, J., Okamura, H., and Sogabe, K., "Experiments and Computation of Crankshaft Three-Dimensional Vibrations and Bending Stresses in a Vee-Type Ten-Cylinder Engine," SAE Technical Paper 951291, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951291.
- Shimoyamada, K. Kodama, T. Honda, Y. Wakabayashi, K. “A Numerical Computation for Vibration Displacements and Stresses of a Crankshaft with a Shear Rubber Torsional Damper,” SAE Paper 930197
- Martin, I. T. Low, B. “Prediction of Crankshaft and Flywheel Dynamics,” I. Mech. E. Autotech 89 November 1989
- Kreuter, P. Pischinger, F. “Status of Rules and Methods for Assessment of Stresses in Crankshaft of I.C. Engine,” SAE Paper 851197 1985
- Oka, M. Kimura, T. “Service Load Fatigue Strength of a Crank Shaft Steel Material,” Journal of the Marine Engineering Society in Japan 12 1 1977
- Homori, S. Kamata, M. Sasaki, Y. “Study on the vibration and strength of long-stroke diesel engine crank shafting “Technical Bulletin Nippon Kaiji Kyokai 7 1989
- Tsuda, K. Vibration of Internal Combustion Engine Science of Machine 1967 1 279 283
- Okamura, H. Shinno, A. Yamanaka, T. Suzuku, A. Sogabe, K. “A Dynamic Stiffness Matrix Approach to the Analysis of Tree-Dimensional Vibrations of Automobile Engine Crankshafts: Part 1 - Background and Application to Free Vibrations,” Proceedings of Vehicle Noise ASME 9 1990
- Morita, T. Okamura, H. “A Dynamic Stiffness Matrix Approach to the Analysis of Three-Dimensional Vibrations of Automobile Engine Crankshafts: Part 2 - Application to Firing Conditions,” Proceedings of Vehicle Noise ASME 9 1990
- Okarnura, H. Morita, T. “Influence of Crankshaft-pulley Dimensions on Crankshaft Vibrations and Engine-Structure Noise and Vibrations,” Proceedings of the 1993 Noise and Vibration Conference SAE paper 931303
- Den hartog, J. P. “Mechanical Vibrations,” McGraw-Hill 1956
- Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers “Data book on the statical and the dynamic characteristics of journal bearings,” Japan Industrial Publication 1984