This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety of Side Facing Seats in General Aviation Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The motion of occupants seated in a typical side facing seat in a general transport aircraft was analyzed using the DYNAMAN simulation program. This paper presents the results of the first phase of the study, where simulations were performed to validate the computer model against a set of tests performed at CAMI using Hybrid II and Hybrid III dummies. There was usually good agreement between test and simulation of the pelvic and chest accelerations, and right side lap belt and shoulder belt loads. The head accelerations tended to be underestimated and the neck and pelvic loads and moments overestimated in the simulations. The only injury parameter which consistently exceeded the tolerance value was the lateral moment at the head-neck junction.
CitationShams, T., Zhao, Y., and Rangarajan, N., "Safety of Side Facing Seats in General Aviation Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 951164, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951164.
- Weerappuli, P. Shams, T. Rangarajan, N. “DYNAMAN User's Manual,” GESAC, Inc. 1992
- Fleck, J.T. Butler, F.E. Vogel, S.D.L. “An Improved Three Dimensional Computer Simulation of Crash Victims,” NHTSA Report Nos. DOT-801-507 through 510 April 1975
- Fleck, J. T. Butler, F.E. “Development of an Improved Computer Model of the Human Body and Extremity Dynamics:,” Report No. AMRL-TR-75-14 July 1975
- Fleck, J.T. Butler, F. E. DeLeys, N.J. “Validation of the Crash Victim Simulator,” Report Nos. DOT-HS-806-279 through 282 1982 1-4
- Kaleps, I. Whitestone, J. “Hybrid III Geometrical and Inertial Properties,” SAE publication 880638
- Mertz, H.J. Patrick, L.M. “Investigation of the Kinematics and Kinetics of Whiplash,” Proceedings of the Eleventh Stapp Car Crash Conference Paper 670919 Society of Automotive Engineers 1967 267 317
- Mertz, H.J. Patrick, L.M. “Strength and Response of the Human Neck,” Proceedings of the Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference Paper 710855 Society of Automotive Engineers 1971 263 288
- Patrick, L.M. Chou, C. “Response of the Human Neck in Flexion, Extension, and Lateral Flexion,” Vehicle Research Institute Report No. VRI-7-3 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa