This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flexible Chassis Effects on Dynamic Response of Engine Mount Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the flexible foundation effects on dynamic responses of engine-mount systems using computer simulation techniques. Equations of motion for the engine-mount systems including flexible foundations are derived. The dynamic flexibility of the foundation is represented by modal information from finite element analysis or experimental modal analysis. Solving the derived equations, natural frequencies and forced vibration responses of an engine-mount system can be simulated accurately. It is shown that the flexibility of the supporting structure may have a significant effect on the idle shake vibration and mounting forces transmitted from the engine to the structure. The computational method developed is applied to an example engine-mount system and the results are compared to those of an associated experiment.
CitationLee, J., Yim, H., and Kim, J., "Flexible Chassis Effects on Dynamic Response of Engine Mount Systems," SAE Technical Paper 951094, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951094.
- Schmitt Regis V. Leingan Charles J. “Design of Elastomeric Vibration Isolation Mounting Systems for Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 760431
- Bernard James E. Starkey John M. “Engine Mount Optimization,” SAE Paper 830257
- MORTITA I. NOZAWA Y. “On Noise and Vibration from Engines Transversely Installed Front Wheel Drive Cars,” JSAE Review Nov. 1983 24 31
- Geck P.E. Patton R.D. “Front Wheel Drive Engine Mount Optimization,” SAE Paper 840736
- Straw Raymond L. “The Development of Isolation Mount,” SAE Paper 840781
- Zibello, Daniel Jr. Thompson Frank M. “POEM - A Computer-Assisted Procedure for Optimizing Elastomeric Mountings,” SAE Paper 710057
- Eishima H. Hamamno K. Tanala Y. Kamato Y. “Method of Front Wheel Drive Car Body Shake Reduction at Engine Idling,” SAE Paper 870630
- Duncan Alan E. “Application of Modal Modelling and Mount System Optimization to Light Duty Truck Ride Analysis,” SAE Paper 811313
- Radcliffe Clark J. Picklemann Mark N. Spiekermann Charles E. Hine Donald S. “Simulation of Engine Idle Shake Vibration,” SAE Paper 830259
- Ashrafuion H. Nataraj C. “Dynamic Analysis of Engine-Mount Systems,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 114 79 83 Jan. 1992
- Hayashi S. Kano S. “Optimization method for mount layout and mount specifications of vehicle sub-frame” A-PVC Nov 1993
- Box M. J. “A New Method of Constrained Optimization and Comparison with other Methods,” Computer J. 8 42 52 1965
- Kuester J. L. “Optimization Techniques with Fortran,” McGRAW-Hill