This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rear Full Overlap High Speed Car-to-Car Impact Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A rear full overlap car-to-car high speed impact simulation using the DYNA3D Finite Element Software was performed to examine the crush mode for rear structure of a vehicle and to observe the effect of rear bumper system in order to maintain the fuel system integrity.
The study was conducted first for two different bumper system configurations, namely: (1) validating the model for struck vehicle with steel rear bumper system, (2) simulating rear end collision with composite rear bumper system attached to the rear rails of struck vehicle. Later a third simulation of the model was conducted with a viable design modification to the composite bumper system for improved crashworthiness.
It was identified that a more comprehensive FEA model of the bullet car including front end structure, powertrain components, cooling system and other components which constitute the load paths should be incorporated in the analysis to obtain more meaningful correlation and crashworthiness prediction.
|Technical Paper||THE ROLE OF INNOVATION AND STATISTICAL METHODOLOGY IN SAFETY ASSESSMENT PROJECTS|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of a Car Frontal Offset Impact Into a Fixed Deformable Barrier|
CitationSyamal, P. and Bhatti, M., "Rear Full Overlap High Speed Car-to-Car Impact Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 951085, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951085.
- Hallquist, J. ‘Theoretical Manual for DYNA3D’ Lawrence Livermore Laboratory March 1983
- Hallquist, J. Stillman, D.W. ‘LS-DYNA3D Course Notes’ Livermore Software Technology Corporation October 1990
- Scott Liu, D. S. ‘Vehicle Rear Barrier Impact Simulation by using Nonlinear Finite Element Approach’ ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation System 126 19 December 1991 207 215
- Liu, W. W. ‘The Development of A Methodology for Vehicle; Side Impact Simulation using Nonlinear FEA’ ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation System 126 19 December 1991 181 193
- Kamal, M. M. ‘Analysis and Simulation of Vehicle - to - Barrier Impact’ Transactions 79, SAE Paper No. 700414 1970
- Ni, C. M. Fine, D. S. ‘Predicting Crush Response of Automotive Structural Components’ SAE Transac tions 87 1978 2609 2618