This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Plenum Dimensions on Drag Measurements in 3/4-Open-Jet Automotive Wind Tunnels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The size of the room surrounding the wind tunnel test section, the so called wind tunnel plenum, is always seen as an important parameter of the wind tunnel building, but has rarely been the subject of systematic investigation regarding minimal requirements to meet quality objectives for aerodynamic testing.
Experimental investigations of this object were made in a quarter-scale wind tunnel (nozzle area 1.4m2). The plenum dimensions were changeable by combinations of different side wall and ceiling positions.
The results have shown, that the plenum can have a significant effect on the flow around the vehicle and therefore on the measured forces. Drag coefficient is under prediced if the wind tunnel plenum is too small.
Recommendations are provided for the geometric dimensions of a wind tunnel plenum. The data obtained are a valuable tool for the layout of wind tunnel design concepts and for the evaluation of interference free wind tunnel simulation.
|Technical Paper||Measurement of Reference Dynamic Pressure in Open-Jet Automotive Wind Tunnels|
|Technical Paper||Unique Correlation Technique For Real-World Flow Simulation in the Wind Tunnel|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||AERODYNAMIC TESTING OF ROAD VEHICLES - OPEN THROAT WIND TUNNEL ADJUSTMENT|
CitationDeutenbach, K., "Influence of Plenum Dimensions on Drag Measurements in 3/4-Open-Jet Automotive Wind Tunnels," SAE Technical Paper 951000, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951000.
- Buchheim R. Comparison Test between Major European Automotive Wind Tunnels SAE-Paper 800140 1980
- Buchheim R. Comparison Test between Major European and North American Wind Tunnels SAE-Paper 830801 1983
- Cogotti A. Comparison Test between some Full-Scale European Automotive Wind Tunnels - Pininfarina Reference Car SAE-Paper 800139 1980
- Aerodynamic Testing of Road Vehicles SAE-Report J 2071 1990
- Schulz-Hausmann F.K. v. Vagt J.-D. Influence of Test Section Length and Collector Area on Measurement in 3/4-Open-Jet Wind Tunnels SAE-Paper 880251 1988
- Kramer C. Gerhardt HJ. 1987
- Künstner R. Deutenbach K.-R. Vagt J.-D. Measurement of Reference Dynamic Pressure in Open-Jet Automotive Wind Tunnels SAE-Paper 920344 1992
- Müller R. Eckert W.