This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Advanced Aluminum-Tin-Silicon Engine Bearing Alloy and its Performance Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new engine bearing alloy, Al Sn8 Si2.5 Pb2 Cu0.8 Cr0.2, has been developed. Extensive experimentation has led to this composition, which shows excellent performance characteristics, particularly seizure resistance and wear resistance. Seizure resistance of the alloy, generally thought to be directly related to soft phase content, compares favorably to that of two different versions of SAE 788, alloys that contain approximately 12% tin.
Fatigue resistance of the alloy is very good, due in part to the lower soft phase content and the absence of a pure aluminum interlayer between the lining and steel. Wear resistance is excellent due to careful attention to the size and distribution of hard phase particles in the microstructure.
The manufacturing process for the alloy includes a rapid solidification casting operation and carefully controlled thermal treatments to produce the desired microstructure with consistency.
|Technical Paper||Improvement of Multi-Layer Aluminum-Silicon-Tin Bearings for High Power Engines Through a Reinforced Intermediate Layer|
|Technical Paper||A Billion Engine Hours On Aluminum Bearings|
CitationWhitney, W., "An Advanced Aluminum-Tin-Silicon Engine Bearing Alloy and its Performance Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 950953, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950953.
- Pratt, G. C. “Materials for Plain Bearings “ International Metallurgical Reviews 18 1973
- Pratt, G. C. Whitney, W. J. Progress with Aluminum-Lead Crankshaft Bearing Alloys 890552 1989
- Fukuoka, T. Kato, H. Kamiya, S. Soda, N. Aluminum Alloy Bearings Containing Hard Particles Fitted for Use with Nodular cast Iron Shaft 830308 1983
- Ogita, Y. Niwa, K. Kondo, Y. New Type Fatigue Phenomenon of Aluminum-Based Engine Bearings SAE Paper # 890556 1989
- Sato, Y. Mizuno, Y. Sakamoto, M. Tanaka, T. Improvement of Multi-Layer Aluminum-Silicon-Tin Bearings for High Power Engines Through a Reinforced Intermediate Layer SAE Paper # 940691 1994
- Nestorides, E. J. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 1966-1967 181
- Wilson, R. W. Shone, E. B. “The Corrosion of Overlay Bearings,” Anticorrosion 17 August 1970