This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanism of Combustion Chamber Deposit Interference and Effects of Gasoline Additives on CCD Formation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recently, an audible clattering noise has been noticed in some vehicles during cold engine starts, mainly in the U.S. The clattering is referred to by various names, such as “carbon knock,” “carbon rap,” “mechanical knock” and “combustion chamber deposit interference (CCDI).” CCDI is believed to be caused by the deposit formation in the combustion chamber. In the research effort described here, CCDI was successfully reproduced in a 2.5-liter multipoint injection engine with a polyolefin amine gasoline additive. It was determined that the CCDI was caused by mechanical contact between the piston top and the cylinder head deposits. The vibration due to CCDI originated mainly at the thrust side of the piston right after top-dead-center on compression stroke and was characterized by a high frequency response.
Combustion chamber deposit (CCD) formation depends on many factors, including gasoline additives. It was confirmed that there is a close relationship between the ability of gasoline additives to decompose and their effect on CCD. Various analytical techniques were also utilized to characterize CCD.
CitationNagao, M., Kaneko, T., Omata, T., Iwamoto, S. et al., "Mechanism of Combustion Chamber Deposit Interference and Effects of Gasoline Additives on CCD Formation," SAE Technical Paper 950741, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950741.
- Kalghatgi G. T. “Deposits in Gasoline Engines - A Literature Review,” SAE paper 902105 1990
- Gething J. A. “Performance-Robbing Aspect of Intake Valve and Port Deposits,” SAE Paper 872116 1987
- Owen K. Coley T. “Automotive Fuels Handbook,” SAE Inc. 1990
- Graham J. P. Evans B. “Effects of Intake Valve Deposits on Driveability,” SAE Paper 922220 1992
- Houser K. R. Crosby T. A. “The Impact of Intake Valve Deposits and Exhaust Emissions,” SAE Paper 922259 1992
- Keller B. D. Meguerian G. H. Tracy C. B. Smith J. B. “ORI of Today's Vehicles,” SAE Paper 760195 1976
- Benson J. D. “Some Factors Which Affect Octane Requirement Increase,” SAE Paper 750933 1975
- Studzinski W. M. Liiva P. M. Choate P. J. Acker W. P. Litzinger T. Bower S. Smooke M. Brezinsky K. “A Computational and Experimental Study of Combustion Chamber Deposit Effects on NOx Emissions,” SAE Paper 932815 1993
- Bitting W. H. Firmstone G. P. Keller C. T. SAE Paper 940345 1994
- Proceedings of the Coordinating Research Council (CRC) Intake Valve Deposit Committee Meeting March 2 1993
- Proceedings of the CRC Combustion Chamber Deposit Workshop November 15 1993
- Moore S. M. “Combustion Chamber Deposit Interference Effects in Late Model Vehicles,” SAE Paper 940385 1994
- Kodama N. Yamamoto K. Shuku T. Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (JSAE) 47 6 1993
- Cheng S. S. Kim C. “Effect of Engine Operating Parameters on Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits,” SAE Paper 902108 1990
- Kim C. Cheng S. S. Majorski S. A. “Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits: Fuel Effects and Mechanisms of Formation,” SAE Paper 912379 1991
- Iwamoto S. Matsuno S. Ishikawa T. Ohmori H. Yokomizo K. “Carbon Knock Analysis Concerning Combustion Chamber Deposit,” JSAE Spring Convention Proceedings, No. 9433290 1994
- Nagao M. Kaneko T. Omata T. “Effects of Gasoline Additives on Combustion Chamber Deposits,” 1994
- Keller C. T. Corkwell K. C. “Honda Generators Used to Evaluate Fuels and Additive Effects on Combustion Chamber Deposits,” SAE Paper 940347 1994
- Peyla R. J. “Motor Gasoline and Deposit Control Additives - A Challenge for 90's,” National Petroleum Refiners Association 1991
- Schreyer P. Starke K. W. Thomas J. Crema S. “Effect of Multifunctional Fuel Additives on Octane Number Requirement of Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Paper 932813 1993
- “Advanced Organic Chemistry: Reactions, Mechanisms and Structure - 4th ed.,” Wiley New York 1992 900 902
- Fuse S. Miyachika M. Takamuku K. Nomura K. “Measuring Method in Piston and Ring Package Analysis,” JSAE 44 11 1986
- Suzuki T. Fujimoto Y. Ochiai Y. “lubricating Oil Film Formation on the Surface of a Piston Skirt in Diesel Engines (Numerical Simulation Using the Boundary Element Method),” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 52 481 1986
- Nakagawa Y. Takagi Y. “Laser Shadowgraphic Analysis of Knocking in S.I. Engine,” XX FISITA Congress Proceedings, SAE Paper 845001 1984