This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Strain Path Effects on the Modified FLD Caused by Variable Blank Holder Force
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective in this research is to investigate the effects of variable blank holder force (VBHF) on the material formability, due to its effect on the strain path. It is found in a recent study  that VBHF does not significantly affect the overall trend of the strain path. This strain path in deep drawing process is linear for the materials in the flange and under punch face, and is roughly bi-linear for the material around the punch nose. The second segment of the strain path in the punch nose region is plane-strain. VBHF, however, affects the strain ratio ρ1 = ε2/ε1 of the first segment of the bi-linear strain path. These effects, especially ρ1, on limit strain were studied using M-K method. A strain path dependent modified forming limit diagram (MFLD) was calculated based on the actual strain path. It is found that the MFLD is strongly dependent on ρ1. The effects of various loading conditions on formability (i.e. on the shape of MFLD) were discussed through their effects on ρ1. It is shown that a suitable VBHF can improve the formability of material in deep drawing process. A calibration diagram that gives modification value due to the effect of strain path was suggested. The modified FLD can be obtained by adding the modification value to the conventional FLD.
In order to verify model predictions, experiments are being carried out, using a recently-built apparatus and the results will be published later.
CitationWang, Y., Saeedy, S., Majlessi, S., and Beard, J., "Strain Path Effects on the Modified FLD Caused by Variable Blank Holder Force," SAE Technical Paper 950695, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950695.
SAE 1995 Transactions: Journal of Materials and Manufacturing
Number: V104-5; Published: 1996-09-01
Number: V104-5; Published: 1996-09-01
- Doege E. Sommer N. “Optimierung der Niederhalterkraft beim Tiefziehen Rechterkiger Teil” Stahl und Eisen 1983
- Ahmetoglu, M. A. Coremans, A. Kinzel G. 7. L. Altan T. “Improving Drawability by Using Variable Blank Holder Force and Pressure in Deep Drawing of Round and Non-symmetric Parts,” SAE Paper No. 930287 Detroit, Michigan 1993
- Hishida Y. Wagoner R.H. “Experimental Analysis of Blank Holding Force Control in Sheet Forming” SAE technical papers, No. 930285 Detroit, Michigan March 15 1993
- Jalkh, P. Cao, J. Hardt D. Boyce M. C. “Optimal Forming of Aluminum 2008-T4 Conical Cups Using Force Trajectory Control” SAE paper No. 930286 Detroit, Michigan March 1-5 1993
- Siegert K. “CNC Hydraulic Multipoint Blankholder System for Sheet Metal Forming Process” CIRP 42 319 322 1993
- Kirii Kazunari “Binder Force Control of Uni-Pressure Cushion in Automobile Panel Stamping” Int. Workshop on the Application of Closed-loop Control in Metal-Forming Process Michigan Technological University Houghton, Michigan May 24-25 1994
- Fukutomi K. Kunitake K. Maruyama M. Nagamitsu T. “Improvement of Shape-Fixability by Controlling of the State of Plastic Strain” Proceedings of IDDRG'94 525 533 18th Biennial Congress Lisbon, Portugal May 16-17 1994
- Wang, Y.W. Majlessi, S.A. “The Design of an Optimum Binder Force System for Improving Sheet Metal Formability” Proceedings of IDDRG'94 491 502 18th Biennial Congress Lisbon, Portugal May 16-17 1994
- Wang, Y.W. Majlessi, S.A. “The Effects of Variable Blank Holder Force on the Strain Path in Deep Drawing Process” Transactions of NAMRI/SME, XXII 55 62 May 1994
- Marciniak Z. Kuczynski K. “Limit Strains in the Processes of Stretch-Forming Sheet Metal” International Journal of Mechanical Science 9 609 620
- Rasmussen S.N. “Assessing the influence of strain path on sheet metal forming” 12th Biennial Congress International Deep Drawing Research Group 83 93 Genoa, Italy May 24-28 1982
- Lu Z.H. “Prediction of History-Dependent Forming Limits by Applying Different Hardening Models” International Journal of Mechanical Science 29 2 123 137 1987
- Lee D. Zaverl F. “Neck Growth and Forming Limits in Sheet Metals” International Journal of Mechanical Science 24 3 157 173 1982
- Chan K.S. Koss D.A. Ghosh A.K. “Localized Necking of Sheet at Negative Minor Strains” Metallurgical Transactions A 15A 323 329 Februrary 1984