This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
3-D LDV Measurement of In-Cylinder Air Flow in a 3.5L Four-Valve SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In-cylinder flows in a motored four-valve SI engine were examined by simultaneous three-component LDV measurement. The purpose of this study was to develop better physical understanding of in-cylinder flows and quantitative methods which correlate in-cylinder flows to engine performance. This study is believed to be the first simultaneous three-component LDV measurement of the air flow over a planar section of a four-valve piston-cylinder assembly. Special attention is paid to the tumble formation process, three-dimensional turbulent kinetic energy, and measurement of the tumble ratio.
The influence of the induction system and the piston geometry are believed to have a significant effect on the in-cylinder flow characteristics. Using LDV measurement, the flows in two different piston top geometries were examined. One axial plane was selected to observe the effect of piston top geometries on the flow field in the combustion chamber. This plane was chosen for ease of optical access and to determine significant variations in the flow field. A mixture of propylene glycol and water was used for seeding in the LDV experiments.
The LDV results reveal that, during the compression process, the turbulent kinetic energy decay tends to be offset by the decay of tumble motion. The tumble motion can also be controlled by the piston top geometry.
CitationYoo, S., Lee, K., Novak, M., Schock, H. et al., "3-D LDV Measurement of In-Cylinder Air Flow in a 3.5L Four-Valve SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 950648, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950648.
- Henriot, S. Le Coz, J.F. Pinchon P. “Three-Dimensional Modeling of the Flow and Turbulence in a Four-Valve S.I. Engine - Comparison with LDV Measurements,” SAE Paper No. 890843 1989
- Le Coz, J.F. Henriot, S. Pinchon, P. “An Experimental and Computational Analysis of the Flow Field in a Four-Valve Spark Ignition Engine- Focus on Cycle-Resolved Turbulence,” SAE Paper No. 900056 1990
- Lee, Keunchul Yoo, Seoung-Chool Stuecken, Tom McCarrick, Dan Schock Harold Hamady, Fakhri LaPointe, Leon A. Keller, Philip Hartman, Peter “An Experimental Study of In-Cylinder Air Flow in a 3.5L Four-Valve SI Engine by High Speed Flow Visualization and Two-Component LDV Measurement,” SAE Paper No. 930478 1993
- Weaving, J. H. “Internal Combustion Engineering,” Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc. 1990
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Fundamentals,” McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Schock, H.J. Hamady, F.J. Defilippis, M.S. LaPointe, L.A. “High Frame Rate Flow Visualization and LDV Measurements in a Steady Flow Cylinder Head Assembly,” SAE Paper No. 910473 Feb. 25 1991
- Ekchian, A. Hoult, D. P. “Flow Visualization Study of the Intake Process of an Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper No. 790095 1979
- Kent, J. C. Mikulec, A. Rimal, L. Adamczyk, A. A. Mueller, S. R. Warren, C. C. “Observation of the Effects of Intake Generated Swirl and Tumble on Combustion Duration,” SAE Paper No. 892097 1989
- Khalighi, Bahram “Intake-Generated Swirl and Tumble Motions in a 4-Valve Engine with Various Intake Configurations-Flow Visualization and Particle Tracking Velocimetry,” SAE Paper No. 900059 1990
- Arcoumanis, C. Green, H. G. Wong, K. Y. “Flow Structure Visualization in Reciprocating Engines,” Proceedings of the Fourth Symposium on Flow Visualization August 26-29 1986
- Regan, C.A. Chun, K.S. Schock, H.J. “Engine Flow Visualization Using Copper Vapor Laser,” Proceedings of SPIE 737 17 27 1987
- Coghe, A. Gamma, F. Mauri, M. Brunello, G. Culderini, F. Antoni, L. “In-Cylinder Air Flow Measurements by Laser Velocimetry under Steady-State Flow Conditions,” SAE Paper No. 850123 1985
- Snauwaert, P. Sierens, R. “Experimental Study of the Swirl Motion in Direct Injection Diesel Engines under Steady State Flow Conditions (by LDA),” SAE Paper No. 860026 1986
- Coghe, A. Brunello, G. Tassi, E. “Effects of Intake Ports on the In-Cylinder Air Motion under Steady Flow Conditions,” SAE Paper No. 880384 1988
- Schock, H. J. Hamady, F. J. Stuecken, T.R. “Air Flow Visualization and LDV Measurements Around an Intake Valve in a Chrysler 2.2L Cylinder Head,” Technical report MSUREL R-89-2 Chrysler Motors Corporation Sep. 25 1989
- Hamady, F.J. Chouinard, E.N. Somerton, C.W. Schock, H.J. Chun, K.S. Hicks, Y.R. “Stratified Charge Rotary Engine Internal Flow Studies,” SAE Paper No. 890331 Feb. 27 1989 98 SAE Trans. 1989
- Hamady, F.J. Stuecken, T.R. Schock, H.J. “Air Flow Visualization and LDV Measurements in a Motored Rotary Engine Assembly - Part 1,” SAE Paper No. 900030 Feb. 26 1990 99 SAE Trans. 1990
- Chouinard, E.N. Hamady, F.J. Schock, H.J. “Airflow Visualization and LDV Measurements in a Motored Rotary Engine Assembly - Part 2,” SAE Paper No. 900031 Feb. 26 1990 99 SAE Trans. 1990
- Hamady, F.J. Stuecken, T.R. Schock, H.J. “Experimental Analysis of Blowby and Flow Field Interaction in a Motored Rotary Engine,” SAE Paper No. 910893 Feb. 25 1991
- Morita, T.B. Hamady, F.J. Stuecken, T.R. Somerton, C.W. Schock, H.J. “Fuel/Air Mixing Visualization in a Motored Rotary Engine Assembly,” SAE Paper No. 910704 Feb. 25 1991
- Falco, R.E. Gendrich, C.P. Chu, C.C. “Vorticity Field Measurements Using Laser-Induced Photochemical Anemometry,” Seventh Symposium on Turbulent Shear Flows Stanford University August 21-23 1989
- Reuss, D.L. Adrian, R.J. Landreth, C.C. French, D.T. Fansler, T.D. “Instantaneous Planar Measurements of Velocity and Strain Rate in an Engine Using Particle- Image Velocimetry,” SAE Paper No. 890616 1989
- Edwards, C. F. Marx, K. D. Ashurst, W. T. “Instantaneous Spatial Structure of a Confined Swirling Flow after a Sudden Expansion,” Laser Anemometry 3 1991