This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quasi-Continuous Particle Trap Regeneration by Cerium-Additives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the performance of a new, catalytically acting cerium-based fuel additive in relation to particulate trap regeneration quality, trap filtration efficiency, particle size distribution and fate of additive under steady-state engine operation conditions.
The impact of the cerium fuel additive is compared to ferrocene respectively copper based fuel additives.
The cerium-based fuel additive DPX6 lower the ignition temperature down to 200 °C. Frequent, so-called quasi-continuous, and smooth regenerations are induced by the cerium fuel additive in that temperature range. Thus, the regeneration quality is quite different to the stochastic and rapid oxidation known from ferrocene and copper. Out of this, the thermal stress with cerium fuel additive will be lower even when regenerations start at comparable high trap loading.
CitationLepperhoff, G., Lüders, H., Barthe, P., and Lemaire, J., "Quasi-Continuous Particle Trap Regeneration by Cerium-Additives," SAE Technical Paper 950369, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950369.
- “Proposed European Emission Standards For Particulates Force the Pace of Filter Development” High Speed Diesels & Drives 5 1990 10 15
- Hardenberg, H.O. Daudel, H.G. Erdmannsdörfer, H.J. “Particulate Trap Regeneration Induced by Means of Oxidizing Agents Injected Into The Exhaust Gas” SAE-Paper No. 870016 1987
- Pattas, K.N Michalopoulou, C.C. “Catalytic Activity in the Regeneration of the Ceramic Diesel Particulate Trap” SAE-Paper No. 920362 1992
- McCabe, R.W. Sinkevitch, R.M. “A Laboratory Combustion Study of Diesel Particulates Containing Metal Additives” SAE-Paper No. 860011 1986
- Daly, D.T. McKinnon, D.L. Martin, JR. Pavlich, D.A. “Diesel Particulate Regeneration System Using a Copper Fuel Additive” SAE-Paper No. 930131 1993
- Pattas, K.N Kyriakis, N.A. Samaras, Z.C. “A New Approach to the Oxidizing Behaviour of a Porous Ceramic Diesel Particulate Trap” SAE-Paper No. 850012 1985
- Li, Q. “Mechanismen und Einflüsse der additivgestützten Partikelzündung und Verbrennung im Rußfilter von Dieselmotoren,” Institut of Applied Thermodynamics (LAT), Aachen University of Technology 1993
- Pauli, E. Lepperhoff; G. Pischinger, F. “The Calculation of Regeneration Limits of Diesel Particulate Traps for Different Regeneration Methods” SAE-Paper No. 840075 1984
- Rao, V.D. White J.E. Wade, W.R. Aimone, M.G. Citanek, H.A. “Advanced Techniques for Thermal and Catalytic Diesel Particulate Trap Regeneration” SAE-Paper No. 850014 1985
- Lawson, A. Vergeer, H.C. Drummond, W. Mogan, J.P. Dainty, E.D. “Performance of Ceramic Diesel Particulate Trap Over Typical Mining Duty Cycles Using Fuel Additive” SAE-Paper No. 850150 1985
- Ma, J. “Reaktionstechnische Untersuchungen zur Regeneration von Dieselrußfiltern” University of Clausthal 1989
- Lemaire, J. Khair, M. “Effect of Cerium Fuel Additive on the Emissions Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE-Paper No. 942067 1994
- Lemaire, J. Mustel, W. Zelenka, P. “Fuel Additive Supported Particulate Trap Regeneration Possibilities by Engine Management System Measures” SAE-Paper No. 942069 1994
- Baumgard, K.J Kittelson, D.B. “The Influence of a Ceramic Particle Trap on the Size Distribution of Diesel Particles” SAE-Paper No. 850009 1985