This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sealing Performance of an Embossed Rubber Coated Metal Gasket
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An embossed single layer of rubber coated metal is a technology that is being applied to the sealing of gasketed joints in internal combustion engines. This technology has the stability of steel, the sealability of rubber, and the control of stiffness through emboss geometry. The sealing performance of this technology is a function of many parameters involving material properties, gasket geometry, surface finish, and joint loading. The relationship between coolant sealability and these parameters was measured. In this paper, results are presented for half emboss configurations where emboss height, surface finish, and clamp load are varied. The data shows that emboss height and flange surface roughness have little effect on the sealing performance of the material studied. The data can be used to select gasket designs which require less expensive flange finishes and lower assembly loads while providing good sealing performance.
|Technical Paper||A Probabilistic Gasket Design Method|
|Technical Paper||Gasketed Joint Analysis Using Computer Aided Engineering Techniques|
CitationNovak, G., Schwerdtfeger, G., and Widder, E., "Sealing Performance of an Embossed Rubber Coated Metal Gasket," SAE Technical Paper 950328, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950328.
- Czernik, D. E. Horve, L A. Brink, R. V. Handbook of Fluid Sealing McGraw Hill, Inc. New York, NY 1993
- Czernik, D. E “Gasketing the Internal Combustion Engine” SAE no. 800073 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1980
- Percival, P. R. Williams, B. G. “Non-Asbestos Gasket Engineering” SAE no. 850191 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1985
- Dishaw, R. D. Kobayashi, M. “Multi-Layer Steel Gasket Technology for Engine Cylinder Head and Manifold Applications” SAE no. 890270 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1989
- Nandi, U. S. Sabah, N. Passarella, M. T. “A New Multi-Functional Liquid Rubber Coating Material for Gasket Applications” SAE no. 880139 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1988
- Whittaker, R. L “Sealability, Its Role in Gasket Evaluation” SAE no. 850190 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1985
- Miszczak, F. L. Silvian, L M. “Fluid Sealability of Gasket Materials - New Test Fixture, Instrumentation, and Test Results” SAE no. 900115 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1990