This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Full Cycle Computational Fluid Dynamics Calculations in a Motored Four Valve Pent Roof Combustion Chamber and Comparison with Experiment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computational fluid dynamics study of the internal flow within a four valve pent roof spark ignition engine has been carried out. The code allows a full 720° cycle to be run and two cycles were run to eliminate the dependence upon initial conditions. The engine was run with two different ports to give a high barrel swirl ratio of 1.7 and a low barrel swirl ratio of 0.4. The results were compared with two previous experimental studies performed using laser doppler velocimetry and hot wire anemometry.
The comparison for the two configurations proved that for both cases good qualitative results could be obtained and for the high swirl case good quantitative results as well. The code has proven itself in the validation exercise and can be used with confidence in further design applications.
CitationJones, P. and Junday, J., "Full Cycle Computational Fluid Dynamics Calculations in a Motored Four Valve Pent Roof Combustion Chamber and Comparison with Experiment," SAE Technical Paper 950286, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950286.
- ADAMSON B. GOSMAN A. D. MAROONEY C. J. NASSERI B. THEODOROPOULOS T. “A new unstructured-mesh method for flow prediction in internal combustion engines.,” Proceedings International Symposium, Commodia 90 431 436 1990
- AMSDEN A. A. BUTLER, T. D. O'ROURKE P. J. “The KIVA-II computer program for transient multidimensional chemically reactive flows with sprays,” SAE 872072 1987
- BENJAMIN S. F. “The development of the GTL ‘barrel swirl’ combustion system with application to four-valve spark ignition systems,” I.Mech.E. Paper C54/88 1988
- BRANDSTATTER W. JOHNS R. J. R. WIGLEY G. “The effect of inlet port geometry on incylinder flow structure,” SAE 850499 1985
- CHAPMAN J. DRAPER A. FAIRHEAD G. S. WALLACE S. “Optimization of combustion chamber design,” I.Mech.E. Paper C382/030 1989
- CHAPMAN J. GARRETT M. W. WARBURTON A. “A New Standard for Barrel Swirl Movement,” I.Mech.E. Paper C427/18/156 1991
- EL TAHRY T. S. H. KHALIGHI B. KUZIAK W. R. J. “Measured Steady Flow Velocity Distributions Around a Valve/Seat Annulus,” SAE 860462 1986
- EL TAHRY T. S. H. KHALIGHI B. KUZIAK W. R. J “Unsteady-flow velocity measurements around an intake valve of a reciprocating engine,” SAE 870593 1987
- FUJII H. TAKAGI Y. URUSHIHARA T. “A Study of In-Cylinder Gas Flow in 4-Valve Engine Based on 3-Dimensional Numerical Simulations and LDV Measurements,” JSAE Review 10 4 October 1989 1989
- GODRIE P. ZELLAT M. “Simulation of Flow Field Generated by Intake Port-Valve-Cylinder Configurations - Comparison with Measurements and Applications,” SAE 940521 1994
- HAWORTH D. C. EL TAHRY T. S. H. HUEBLER M. S. “Multidimensional port-and-cylinder flow calculations for two-and four-valve-per-cylinder engines-Influence of intake configuration on flow structure,” SAE 900257 1990
- HENRIOT S. LE COZ C. J. F. PINCHON P. “Three-dimensional modelling of flow and turbulence in a four-valve spark-ignition engine--Comparison with LDV measurements,” SAE 890843 1989
- HU Z. VAFIDIS C. WHITELAW J. H. “Laser doppler velocimetry study of the in-cylinder flow in a four-valve pent-roof-chamber motored SI engine,” Imperial College Report FS/90/27 1990
- Hu Z. VAFIDIS C. WHITELAW J. H. CHAPMAN J. HEAD R. A. “Correlation between in-cylinder flow, performance and emissions characteristics of a Rover pentroof four-valve engine,” I.Mech.E. Paper C448/026 1992
- JOHNS R. J. R. “A Unified Method for Calculating Engine Flows,” ASME Paper 84-DGP-18 1984
- JONES P. M. “Moving the Mesh of a Computational Fluid Dynamics calculation within an Internal Combustion Engine,” University of Warwick 1994
- KUOT “Multidimensional port-and-cylinder gas flow, fuel spray, and combustion calculations for a port-fuel-injection engine,” SAE 920515 1992
- O'ROURKE P. J AMSDEN A. A. “Three dimensional numerical simulations of the UPS-292 stratified charge engine,” SAE 870597 1987
- RAMOS J. I. HUMPHREY J. A. C. SIRIGNANO W. A. “Numerical prediction of axisymmetric laminar and turbulent flows in motored, reciprocating internal combustion engines,” SAE 790356 1979
- TAGHAVI R. DUPONT A. “Investigation of the Effect of Inlet Port on the Flow in a Combustion Chamber Using Multidimensional Modeling.,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power July 1989 111 479 484 1989
- WARBURTON A. “Acquisition and Analysis of hot wire anemometer data from the combustion chamber of a motored single cylinder research engine,” I. Mech. E. Paper C78/83 1983