This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Pump Design Parameters in Diesel Fuel Injection Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computer model solving the 1-D flow in a typical fuel injection system for direct-injection diesel engines is presented. A Bosch distributor - type VE pump connected to four Stanadyne pencil - type nozzles has been used to validate the computer model over a wide range of operating conditions. Validation of the developed computer code has been performed for eight representative test cases. The predicted values which were compared with the experimental ones include the pumping chamber pressure, the line pressure, the needle lift and the injection rate. Results using as input the measured pumping chamber pressure are also presented in order to identify the error in the injection rate signal attributed to the difference between the simulated and the experimental pumping chamber pressure. In addition, the total fuel injection quantity for pump speeds between 500 and 2000 rpm and lever positions between 20% to 100% was calculated and compared with measurements. The nozzle exit characteristics and mean effective injection pressure were quantified in terms of the mean line pressure and its variation with pump speed and lever position.
Following satisfactory validation of the code, parametric studies were performed in order to quantify the effect of pump design characteristics such as the cam lift and lever position on the start of injection, injection duration and total fuel injection quantity. In addition, the start of injection was defined as a function on the nozzle opening pressure and an equivalent pumping chamber opening pressure was derived.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||STARTER MOTOR APPLICATION CONSIDERATIONS|
CitationArcoumanis, C., Gavaises, M., Bostock, P., and Horrocks, R., "Evaluation of Pump Design Parameters in Diesel Fuel Injection Systems," SAE Technical Paper 950078, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950078.
Investigation and Analysis of Fuel Spray Technology
Number: SP-1065; Published: 1995-02-01
Number: SP-1065; Published: 1995-02-01
- Wylie, E.B. Bolt, J.A. El - Erian, M.F. “Diesel Fuel Injection System for Simulation and Experimental Correlations” SAE Paper 710569 1971
- Matsuoka, S. Yokota, K. Kamimoto, T. Igoshi, M. “A study of fuel injection systems in diesel engines” SAE Papers 760551 & 760552 1976
- Gavanagh, E.J. Simulation of Automotive “Diesel Fuel Injection Equipment” University of Southampton 1984
- Marcic, M. Kovacic, .Z “Computer Simulation of Diesel Fuel Injection Systems” SAE Paper 851583 1985
- Wannenwetsch, P. Egler, W. “A User-Friendly Program System for Digital Simulation of Hydraulic Equipment” SAE Paper 850532 1985
- Gibson, D.H. “A Flexible Fuel Injection Simulation” SAE Paper 861567 1986
- Kumar, S. Watson, H.C. “A Regression Model for Describing the Fuel Injection of Diesel Fuel, Seed Oils and the Methyl Esters of Seed Oils” IMechE 1989
- Soteriou, C.C.E. “Modeling and Prediction of the filling Characteristics of Modern Diesel Fuel Injection Equipment” University of Southampton 1990
- Lee, Hang-Kyung “Modeling Rotary Diesel Fuel Injection Equipment with Rate Control to Reduce Noise and Emissions” University of Southampton 1994
- Schweimer, G.W. Schlindler, K.P. Oetting, H. “The Physics of Fuel Injection in Diesel Engines” International EAEC Conference on New Developments in Power Train and Chassis Engineering Strasbourg 3-5 June 1987
- Fairbrother R.J. “Computer simulation of fuel injection for direct injection diesel engines” University of London 1994
- Henein, N.A. Singh, T. Rozanski, J. “Characterisation and simulation of a Unit Injector” SAE paper 750773 1975
- Aguirre, I.A. Quiros, A.L. Rodriquez, J.V. “Computer Simulation of Diesel Fuel Injection Equipment” SIA Paper No 92003 International Congress on “The Powertain: development and future” Valencia 14 - 15 May 1992
- Arcoumanis, C. Fairbrother, R.J. “Computer Simulation of Fuel Injection Systems for DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 922223 1992
- Arcoumanis C. Fairbrother R.J. Gavaises M. Flora H. “Development and Validation of a Computer Simulation model for Diesel Injection Systems” Proc. I.Mech.E. J.Auto.Engrg. 1994
- Needham, J.R. Whelan, S. “Meeting the challenge of low emissions and fuel economy with the Ricardo four-valve high-speed direct injection engine” Proc.I.Mech.E. J.Auto.Engrg. 28 181 190 1994