This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuels Development for Formula One
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of fuels for Formula One engines is described by reference to the 1988 - 1992 Grand Prix seasons. Fuel development for both turbo-charged and normally aspirated engines is detailed, and a robust methodology is presented which enables sustainable fuel performance improvements by optimised matching to the engine combustion system.
The relevance of Formula One fuel research to commercial gasolines is described. It is shown that there are many areas of research where there are benefits arising that are directly transferable to the motoring public.
CitationBryce, S., Lindsay, R., Galliard, I., and Glover, A., "Fuels Development for Formula One," SAE Technical Paper 942540, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942540.
- JSAE 9302510 ‘Optimising Formula 1 Engine Performance Through Fuel and Combustion System Development’ Glover A.R. et al.
- SAE 852129 ‘Technical Review of Automotive Racing Fuels’ Germane G.J.
- SAE 890877 ‘Honda Formula One Turbocharged V6 1.51 Engine’ Otobe Y. et al.
- JSAE Symposium 9307 ‘Development of F1 V12 High Performance Engine’ Sonoda T. Aoki A.
- Shell International Petroleum Company Report no. 59F April 1965